The Firearms Forum banner

Home made grips

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  amcnerl 
#1 ·
After reading the posts from Woodnut about making grips, I thought I would give it a try. Let me know what you think of my first attempt, be honest, I need the feedback. These are for my Combat Commander, disregard the scratches on the piece, it's used and not quite abused. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I would shorten up the bottom of the left side a bit, to match the right side. And the front edge of the right grip could be straighter, but other than that, they look real nice. But how do they FEEL? Oh yea, GOTTA have hex head screws. They look so much better. Just my opinion. Lol.

#3 ·
I am glad to see you building grips, now you will know how addictive it is. Each set you build will just make you want to do it again.
As for the grips, for a first attempt they look great. From what I see, and I don't mean this in a bad way. They are a little flat on the top surface, but hey is that is the feel you like then that is OK. But to me they could be a little more contoured.
A FEW TIPS
1. Take some double sided tape and cut you a little block of wood smaller than the grip itself and stick it on the back of the blank after it is fitted to the gun. This will serve as something to hold on to while sanding and finishing. Sure saves the old fingers.
2. Leave the length until last then lay the grip on the gun and scribe the bottom of the grip to match the gun, this way you will have the correct length on each grip.
3. Use the original grip to trace on the blank after the holes are drilled, align the holes with the each other and then trace, that way the grips will be straight on front and back and be the correct width. If you notice, there is a lot of room on the back edge of the right grip and a very narrow margin on the front side.

Amcnerl
I hope you don't take this criticism the wrong way. I am just here to help you along. If I can answer any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me, call 228 255 0822, or email me at cwgrips@gmail.com, or PM me, what ever you prefer. I will be more than glad to help in any way I can.
Woodnut
Carl Wallace

#4 ·
Thanks for the comments. None was taken wrong, that's why we're all here, helping each other out. Hex screws would be a nice touch, may have to get some. Woodnut, thanks for the advice, I'll post more as time in the shop allows. I do like the feel of the flat top of the grips hitting the range for the feel will be next. The original grips are 1 piece rubber, so a bit difficult to use as a template. The wood is rustic cherry, I think next will be walnut. Thanks for the encouragement, this is an addiction, in a good sense.

#5 ·
They look good:)
The screw holes need some work they look like the screws are holding the grips by the outside instead of being recessed Woodnut can help out with that.
As for the finish What did you end up using for the final grit I end up with 600-800 grit depending on the wood.
Then 7 to 10 coats of tru oil with sanding in between coats with 800 grit paper.
Again depending on the wood.always sand with the grain.Sometimes that can be hard when the grain turns and turns but still follow the grain.
Mike:)

#6 ·
Thanks Mike. The screws are actually in the holes and just a bit above the wood. Not my best time with the camera.

The finish is done at 320 grit with 4 coats of polyurethane and 0000 steel wool in between. Since these were my first, I'm sure things will get better.

Thanks again.

#7 · (Edited)
Please don't get me wrong they look great.
I can finish wood but am still learning cutting out grips Woodnut has helped me ALLOT he does beautiful work so if you have any questions about cutting them ask him.
I just did a set of grips with a smooth finish (like yours) and used Tru-oil they turned out great but I did not like the smooth finish because they felt slippery.
How do yours feel with poly.? And not rounded?
I think I would rather checker them for "grip"
But then you lose the grain's look.
Like I said I'm still learning too.
Mike

#14 ·
Those turned out very nice. I like the shape you went with, thinking about trying that shape out on the next set I do.

#15 ·
Finally had a chance to do a little plinking with the 1911 and my homemade grips. I actually have a better grip than with rounded grips, probably my hands. Control is about the same, finger placement on the trigger is on the money. Can't wait till things slow down so I can try making another set. Thanks everyone for the support and comments.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.