Home made reloading trays

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Deacon_Man, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

I bought some store bought reloading trays, don't like them worth a damn. I figured I could build something to suit my self. I took a 1x4 block of pine lumber, put it on my drill press and drilled 50 holes just bigger than my .45 brass. Then I took another block of pine and sawed off 3/16th thick layers for the bottom of the trays. I took them both and smoothed them up on my belt sander. I took the 1x4 blocks and routed the edges courved and smooth. I used super glue to bond the pieces together. And now I have two really easy to insert casings for reloading trays. Check out the pictures, and sorry I don't have a picture sizing program.

Attached Files:

2. lawdawg

lawdawg Member

Nice Job!
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Those are really nice!! Throw some Walnut stain on them and they will be even purtier!
  4. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  5. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

I also made my own. Two from walnut and three from oak. I drilled a pilot hole with a smaller bit and finished each with a 1/2 inch Foster so each has a relatively flat bottom. I finished with tung oil. The wood is heaver and more stable than plastic and the half-inch deep holes support everything from 380 to 30-06
  6. sting75ray

sting75ray Well-Known Member

I have some that my great grandfather made out of walnut, only thing is one of them holds 45 rounds and the other one holds 70 rounds.
  7. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

did you use an endmill or regualr bit?

I saw some made from cigar boxes with the halves seterated, and one side glued on top of the other with holes drilled in the webbing.. etc.. i like yours..
  8. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

Your reloading blocks look great. I enjoyed the thread you had for me to look at.
  9. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Boy oh boy what's next? nice job
  10. Orin

Orin Member

Ditto... But I prefer deeper holes so the cases can't tip over. I use 2x10 & 2x12. Drop three times in a vat of urethane to seal.
  11. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

I used a flat wood bit ground down to the hole size I wanted. I used my drill press and drilled the holes all the way through. I bonded my 3/16 thick wood to the bottom side. I like them much better than the store bought plastic.

John
  12. soundguy

ahhh.. now i see! you drilled thru then bonded some thin under that... nice.

I'm going compliment you by copying your design tonight when I get home.. :)
  13. soundguy

well, mine doesn't look as nice, but I was so impressed by your wood block, that I had to go make one when i got home from work, while waiting for the wife to get home from work.

I had a piece of lefover pine plant and some thinner osv from my shelving project. marked the pine plank and got 10 colums / 11 rows.. etc.. cleaned up the holes and chamfered the openings a bit.. after choosing the best side.. bonded my osb to it overnight and put 2 coats of polyurethane on it. 2nd coat is drying now.

I had 2 holes that had some chipping at the mouth so i used some filler.. doesn't look the greatest.. but should be a great tray. I loved the design when i saw deacon man's blocks1 I sometimes set and do marathon 30-06 runs and will do 100-300 at a time.. and I run myself out of those lil plastic 40-80 hole blocks. with this 110 hole block I'll be back caught up.

thanks for the idea!!

Attached Files:

• rblb.JPG
      rblb.JPG
      File size:
      109.5 KB
      Views:
  14. Mike1959

Mike1959 New Member

Cool, thanks for the idea. Now i have things to do while i wait for when i can start buying my press and other goodies.
  15. soundguy

it's so neat the stuff / ideas you can come up with browsing the forums. I plan on crusing them all to see who else I can steal good ideas from :)