Home made reloading trays

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Deacon_Man, Jun 20, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

forstner bit or?

how deep / thick.. got a side shot?

they look great by the way.

did you plane the top after drilling.. or drill thru a laminate layer on top for more even entry without surface damage?
  2. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

I'll get back to you on the dimensions and thanks. Yes, I used a 1/2 forstner to finish the hole bottoms after drilling a 1/2 hole with a twist bit. The wood was finished stock so there was no work done after drilling except the finish coating. The sharp twist drill started nicely in a punch mark without chipping so no laminate was needed. I had a Craftsman drill holder (kinda like a drill press) for the walnut but the oak was drilled free hand (so rows not as straight) but using the same type bits. I load pistol and rifle ctg's and these work well for all. They are deep enough to stabilize the rifle cases yet not so deep to prevent picking up the 380 cases.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  3. soundguy

beautiful! if i had hardwood scraps at hoke i'd make another. think I only got cheap pine though.. :)

yours Do look superb with the finish.

and decaon mans have the nice side routing. man.. love looking at the stuff crafty wood people make...
  4. hjsmith00843

hjsmith00843 New Member

You should start selling these. I would like a few.
  5. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

The walnut blocks are 4 X 7 3/4 X 5/8 holes are 1/2. The oak are 4 3/8 X 7 1/4 X 5/8 holes are 1/2. As mentioned earlier, the walnut were made quite a few years ago and the oak last year. I had a radial arm saw when doing the walnut and didn't when doing the oak. The walnut was some scrap that was given to me and I bought the oak and had it cut so that's the reason for the difference in size. I do recommend the use of a drill press to keep the rows and hole depth uniform.
  6. soundguy

does it have a backer material on the bottom?
  7. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

hmmm. I've got a couple of 8' long clean clear maple 1x8s just collecting dust in my wood shop. I could laminate 2 pieces together and drill shallow holes on one side for pistol and deeper on the other for rifle. the holes would have to be offset like the commercial ones. gorilla glue should be ok for the lamination ya think? I just need to make up a jig so I can drill the holes in perfectly straight lines since I am an anal freak.
  8. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

No backer. Walnut was a board dressed to 5/8 that I had on hand. The oak was a board dressed to 5/8 that I bought and had 4 blocks sawed from it at the store - Lowes I think.
  9. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

1" thickness is more than enough to use without any lamination as holes are only 1/2 deep but more than enough to stabilize pistol and rifle cases. Gorilla glue or Elmer's wood glue (always my standby) should work just fine if adequately clamped until dry. Again, I see no need to do this but it's your wood and your project. The maple should be pretty when finished.
  10. soundguy

i used elmers on mine and clamped it them put PU on it.. gonna make another this weekend.
  11. soundguy

dug thru my dwindling scrap wood barrel and found a square piece of laminated 1" hardwood plywood. plywood. plan to make 1 more tray this evening when I get home from work... then I should be ok for large batches of 250 at a pop.

already got my drill template done and the jig ready before I left for work... can't wait to get on it.

wish I had good looking hardwoods like you guys :) but I'm stuck with what I got.. OSB leftovers, plywood leftovers, and an occasional piece of pine plank.. ;)
  12. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

can't wait to see your jig and template soundguy
  13. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

What is OSB? As you know, will a little effort you can make anything more attractive. A little filler, a little sanding, a little paint or finish and you get magic.
  14. soundguy

OSb is oriented strand board. it's a cheaper plywood also called chip board or flake board, or wafer board. instead of thin venir's laminated together biased , it is made up of smaller wafer scraps.. commonly used in roofing.

here is the one I finished.. you can see the other one inthe background. other one is pine over osb, this one is hardwood plywood over osb.. both have 2x coats of polyurethane on them. 2nd one turne dout a lil better than the first

Attached Files:

15. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

The look good and should be very serviceable. The weight of the OSB should make them very stable.
  16. soundguy

yep.. I went with that over some 3/16 luan dor skinning I had.

and both are better than particle board types.

I now have enough loading blocks for large cartridge marathons.

now to get a wonder lyman case prep center and an electric trimmer :)