1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

home made revolver grips

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by frontierman, Jul 26, 2009.

1. frontierman

frontierman New Member

I just got an idea about making some homemade grips for my 1851 navy. anyone ever do this? if so, can you give me some idea how to start and what type of wood and tools would be required? can,t afford to have custom grips made. I am envisioning making a black stained grip. thanks:)
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Use your old grips as a model. Any wood you want to use will work. You might want to check, and make sure that the wood you will using will take the stain you plan to use. As for tools, a scroll saw, or jig saw, files, drill & bits, and of course, sand papper in several different grits. There are so many things that you can do with wood, I personally like a hand rubbed finish with tongue oil.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I did it once for a revolver. I cut and shaped the wood as best I could making sure the grips were oversize, a simple paper pattern being transferred to the wood. I then attached the still oversize grips to the frame and continued rubbing down the wood, having covered the back and front straps with duck tape to protect the finish. Anytime I damaged the tape, I replaced it.

I got there in the end, but to be honest it was a lot of work and took a long time. I am not sure I would recommend it. :eek:
  4. But Tranter, we're still waiting for those custom-made, squirrel skin covered grips you were going to make for your Webley. Oh, wait! The instructions say, "first you must shoot the squirrel." Bird feeders make poor pistol grips I understand. :::::::digging fox hole much deeper and laying concertina wire::::: :D;):p
  5. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

as I think you know pistol, some fox holes just never seem deep enough.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Or, if you don't want splinters in your mouth, you could use tung oil, from the tung tree. :p
  7. Larry in Michigan

Larry in Michigan New Member

You can save a lot of work by merely refinishing your stock grips...unless
    they're damaged in some way. That's what I did. I finished with a nice
    pecan stain....right before I bought a set of black pearl grips on eBay.

Larry in Michigan
  8. frontierman

frontierman New Member

Thanks Larry, I didn't think about that. is there a color stain that is pretty close to black? thanks:)
  9. frontierman

frontierman New Member

anyone know how to remove the grips from a pietta navy? thanks again, should'ved included in the above post.:)
  10. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

11. Larry in Michigan

Larry in Michigan New Member

Black stain? I don't know. Certainly there are very dark stains. I went the complete opposite way, sanded the old finish off, smoothed out the wood with progressively lighter grits of paper until they were right. Then I bleached them and went with a very light-colored stain (pecan). But I like the black pearl grips better.

You might consider paint (ducking now), but if it doesn't work out, you have to strip them again, and you're talking about some small, fragile pieces of wood
    as opposed to a rifle stock or something.

My refinishing job was mostly an experiment as I was looking for something else anyway.

Larry in Michigan
  12. carver

carver Moderator

Alright! Alright! Alright! So I can't spell! Moma always said I couldn't spell s*&^ without getting it in my mouth!:D
  13. carver

carver Moderator

I've had good success with Rit Dye. But only if you are going to use some "tounge" oil to finish it with!:D The grain of the wood will show through no matter what you use in the way of dye.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  14. kbolt

kbolt New Member

15. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

you can take dye and use it to color lacquer or another type of finish that builds and it will cover the grain in the wood. one thing i have done in the past is to put a sealer coat on, then black spray paint, then several clear coats to protect the color. never tried it on grips, but did a wooden bb gun stock