home made revolver grips

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by frontierman, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Nitro

Nitro New Member

That's a pretty heavy caliber, pretty much dwarfs my 9mm. How's the kick from that thing?
  2. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Kbolt, you have succeeded in making a normally unattractive pistol into quite a beauty.
    You have my compliments!
    I'm curious too, how's it shoot?
  3. kbolt

kbolt New Member

I bought this handgun back in april along with 2,248 rounds of ammo. I have put about 700 rnds through it without a single problem. I've been really impressed with the accuracy at normal handgun distances,so last weekend I decided to see what it can do at long range, I set up at 75 yrds, 100 yrds and 125 yrds. I'm still very impressed with the results(see pics)the top two targets are 75 yrds, the middle is 100 and the bottom two are 125 yrds. I think I could have done better at 125 yrds but I could barely see the target at that distance. (I need to get some glasses) It shoots flat and staight because the 7.62x25 round was originally designed as machinegun ammo. It has a bit of a kick to it, but not to bad. It is the loudest handgun I have ever fired. for $199.00 I think I really got the best bang for the buck.

Attached Files:

4. Larry in Michigan

Larry in Michigan New Member

Is that a small, pale deer I see near the targets in one of the pics? They make for some good eatin".

How much do you change your point of aim between, say, 50 and 100 yards?

Larry in Michigan
  5. kbolt

kbolt New Member

I think it was a jachalope. I aimed about an inch up per 25 yrds, but that turned out to be a little to much.
  6. stewswanson

stewswanson New Member

Here is an example of a homemade grip for a 1858 Remington 12". This one is for a lefty shooter therefore the R.H. grip is left intact. Remove the offending grip cut the wood generously larger than the stock grip and simply cut off everything that doesn't fit your hand. This grip extends below the brass frame to accomodate the support for the heel of the hand. with a heavy gun this is a great help. This grip was made from hard balsa as I had some lying around. The finish is Minwax # 233 English Walnut stain and 2 coats of satin polyurethane varnish. A Dremel tool with small sanding drum is a great tool for shaping items like this. Sandpaper and various round shaped objects to wrap it around are helpfull for forming the finger positions.

Attached Files:

7. txhunter77

txhunter77 New Member

Sweeeeeet! You want to make a right handed grip for me?
  8. stewswanson

stewswanson New Member

Proabably wouldn't get a R.H. right. Like I said just put a larger piece on and cut away everything that doesn't feel right.
    Stew
  9. Keystone

Keystone New Member

All the grips look great. I need to try my hand at this.
  10. Keystone

Keystone New Member

stewswanson, I like your holster. Did you make it?
  11. stewswanson

stewswanson New Member

Yes the holster is my creation. Using the cheapest remnant in Tandy's bin. You simply wrap around the pistol to get an idea of the shape/fit and trim it to fit. Then get out the punch and make the lacing holes and lace it up. The
    latigo lace was in a different bargain bin.
    Stew
  12. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Brown's custom grips are around $35.00 nice site to look at
  13. Keystone

Keystone New Member

Tandy's have some nice stuff. My Dad is a big time buyer on there.