Home made trail rations

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by Maximilian II, Jul 14, 2009.

1. wpage

wpage New Member

My buddy Pete has the best bug out solutions...
    Favorite is what mountain climbers prefer light and protein rich. Easy go to Costco and get their mix then modify it with what you like extra raisins, nuts, cranberry, and drop into zip lock bags.
    Be certain to exhale out the excess air to prevent oxidation.
    Enjoy!
  2. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

I should have remembered to post this, but I did try Kutaho's tip and used thicker cuts of meat for my last batch of jerky. Works as advertised, the jerky is more tender and tasty.

Last batch of hardtack had the opposite problem. Too thick, it came out with a doughy flavor. I don't think it cooked through completely.