1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Homebrew

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rglbegl, Feb 14, 2010.

1. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

Who here does it?
    What do you brew?
    So far I have been in to the nut brown and lighter pilsners. Recently tried a wheat beer that I really liked.

This is my new keg that a buddy painted for me
    [​IMG]
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

one of the racks in 2007 , before i moved to the dob box in Sydney

there where 3 walls like this

i did a light pilsner (new) a dark pilsner (old) , a dinner ale and a guiness clone,

now i do a 40 litre batch as thats all the room i have .. bummer eh

cheers

jack

Attached Files:

• 2007.jpg
      2007.jpg
      File size:
      97.8 KB
      Views:
  3. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Woooooooo!
    A subject near and dear (actually just below and right of) my heart.

Beer is good, ale is better. Stout is divine, but you just gotta make some MEAD fellas!
  4. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

I do 5 gallon batches. I have done several ales and recently bottled an Oktoberfest and a Pils
  5. bizy

bizy New Member

HELLO BREW MASTER!
    I don't brew beer, I tried but somewhere I just didn't get it.. I make homemade wine once every 2 or 3 years.. I have a friend that used a brew kit and made some really great beer, I think a dark lager.
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

if you can get the coopers brew kits ( i know they are exported to the US )

try em especially the pale ale

close to a heinikin but with a bit more punch

its a easy to use one too

enjoy eh

jack
  7. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I don't do beer, but my youngest son does. I do make a light rose wine with apple cider and red grape juice. I started that because I can't drink the heavy reds anymore.

Pops
  8. Airdale

Airdale Member

Thanks alot Jack, your post got me started on a new tangent this morning. So far I've ordered a cheapo kit from Mr. Beer with a couple different lagers to try home brewing out. If it's anything near drinkable it will be on to a Coopers kit. I found their stateside distributers and they have, at least, three brews I'd like to try.

Just what I needed...another hobby:D

Let's see my remodeling project has morphed from a mancave to a mancave/reloading room and now a mancave/reloading room/microbrewery:eek: Talk about efficiant use of space;)
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Airdale , tryed home tanning yet ?

dont mean the poofy sun bed things , i mean skins , hides, leather and furs

hahahahahaha

sorry now i'm just being a bastard,

dont want your Mrs to be a hobby widow now do we ..

good luck with the brewing eh

and

CHEERS!!

jack
  10. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

Mr beer is not the greatest, but if done well, it can turn out beer. And Lagers are harder to do than Ales. Try a steam beer or an Ale first, then move on to the pilsners and lagers. (even porters and stouts are easy)

Your best bet is a full system from brewers best or a similiar brand.
    There are several online sources for kits. I ususally use northern brewer or austin Hb. Both make kits for about $25 for what makes 5 gallons of beer. (about 53 beers)

Making your own gives you more control over the flavor, so you can make beer you truely enjoy for under $0.50 per beer
  11. pawn

pawn Active Member

i have a mr.beer kit I got for Christmas. havent done any brewing yet. guess i'd better get motovated..... it's not gonna brew itself :D
  12. jim summers

jim summers Active Member

I reside in southern Indiana, you can almost step
    Jack
    That's a lot of hooch is it all just for you?
  13. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Ginger? Like ginger root Jack?

Hummmm, that sounds pretty good.

Nice paint job on your tank Rglbegl.
  14. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i brew some for mates

some of the old diggers ( retured veterans) at the RSL homes ( VA or VFW homes for US folks) like a beer or 3 but its too expencive so a few extra dont go astray heck i may in the same boat one day, so its a simple thing and i have a capitive audience ( controled guinea pigs) for my experiements

i used to do them maybe 1200 bottle a year for the diggers but i'm a awful long way from where i was making these, so only make maybe 1500 a year total now another 300 of ginger beer and another 300 of sarsperilla and my Guiness clone

Ginger beer yes you call it root beer 9.5% on average and i do a sarsperilla thats about 7.5%

my brewing tanks a e ex navy hot water tanks from heat exchangers ( stainless and copper) and 250 liters ( dont ask me in gallons ) but makes 330 bottles as you see give or take a couple i prep 340 bottles to be on the safe side but always have 1/2 to a dozen spares at the end of the tapping..

i found the bigger the brew tank the easier it is to keep the temp's stable and can set the elements for 0.25 Deg C varience without burning out the elements smaller tanks lose heat to fast and so the elements are on and off too often

if i dont have to drive anywhere i'll drink 4 bottles as pictured a day ( 750 ml or 1 1/4 pint) 1 with lunch and 1 with dinner and a couple from dinner to bed time , i've cut way back eh ..
    driving makes a big difference as 1 of these in a hour and your borderline the legal limit ( depending on the brew , the 8% stuff your ok but the 15% your busted) i aint been busted yet and dont plan too

so i hold off till i'm home , the booze buses are way too accurate now

cheers

jack
  15. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Yep, got 2 DUI's in my misspent youth. Bad times. I finally learned.

So am I the only mead fan here? It's more expensive to make than beer, as honey isn't cheap. Good brewing honey like sourwood is also harder to find.
    There are huge numbers of recipes on the internet. I like a friend's "quick" (frothy) mead, goes through a secondary fermentation like beer. He even lightly hops it with Bavarian hops, that counterbalances the honey sweetness nicely and makes it easy to drink. 13% alcohol though, and with the fizz factored in even I slow down after two tankards.