Homemade recoil limbsaver pad?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by gun runner, Jun 23, 2012.

1. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

What can I use to make a recoil pad for a 12 gauge shotgun?

Im getting bruised up real bad. Any ideas?
  2. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Why not short'n your stock and 7/8" and go ahead and add the limbsaver?? If patterning your shotgun a folded towel will do. What are you shooting and the ammo that makes it so bad to shot.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Its a light weight single barrel break over hardluk. Damn things are brutal no matter how you cut it. Just get a slip on limbsaver and steer clear of the mags.
  4. 2000ShadowACE

2000ShadowACE Member

What are you shooting? Clays? doves? Ducks? My break action 12 kicks like a mule with 3" shells so it stays home when I go duck hunting or dive hunting, but with 2 3/4" #7s it is great for trap shooting. I have a half inch slip on rubber recoil pad I picked up at our local farm supply store.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Recoil pads have been around for nearly a 100 years but there are recoil pads and RECOIL PADS.

Early ones were made out of common rubber in a single layer. Later ones were made with chambers that collapsed with recoil to absorb more of the recoil. The latest (like Limbsaver and Pachmayer Decelerator pads) are made of a special memory rubber developed for the space program. They work awesome. I have installed many of the Decelerators and they make a huge difference. They make grind to fit versions and ones for specific guns (which I found do not fit well). Grinding to fit is not easy as it takes a bench belt or disk sander and a special tool to help get all the angles right. And the stock must be cut off square for the pad to seat correctly.

An option is a recoil pad you wear by PAST that uses that special rubber. You can then use it with any gun including military gun with metal butt plates or old rifles without any recoil pad.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=past recoil

LDBennett
  6. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Thanks, Im shooting 00 buckshot magnum 3"

The gun kicks hard, I have a big bruise on my shoulder. Birdshot works out perfect but not 00
  7. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

What are you doing that needs more than a few buck shot fired at any one time other than patterning your shotgun to find what it likes best??

I will say again If the stock is to long if you add a recoil pad , then cut a inch of stock oss and put a recoil pad on it. Most any guy with some wood working tools can handel the job and even if the pad is to big it can be scribbed on the edge and sanded down with a common belt sander or a shoe repair shop can sand it to fit.

Oh I was shooting buck at 14 in florida swamps long before anyone had recoil pads that were worth a darn. My shotgun only hard plastic butt plate. I used that shotgun for 15 years as my primary firearm for deer.. I will stay If you do pattern your shotgun it my throw a better pattern with a lighter /faster 2 3/4" load. Same powder charge just a couple less shot and like a .22lr they don't all like just any ole buck shot.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

sounds like hes just tearin $#!+ up. Which is what you do with buckshot when you aint hunting with it. Unfortunately recoil is the trade off for such awesome destructive power.
  9. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I have a single shot break action Stevens 12g that I started turkey hunting with this spring. One day I decided to see how it shot the 3" mags #4 shot I was using. The recoil was brutal to say the least ( no pad on it) and it left a real nasty looking bruise. It was at that point I decided to trade in a Browing 40 cal Hi-power and got myself a Mossberg 535. I use 3 1/2" 12g shells in it and it is not nealry as brutal as that old Stevens. LOL
  10. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

You can get a slip on recoil pad at walmart for 19.95.Me and my boy both have one and we shoot about 100 rounds a piece per day practicing clay shooting and neither one of us have problems
  11. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Great information guys. Im just going to invest in a limbsaver. I want to continue to shoot buckshot. JLA is right. Fun to shoot

The only problem was is that Nagels Gun Shop in San Antonio,TX wants $80 bucks to install one. They claim they have to cut the stock like said above and etc.

I paid $161 total for the H&R. This would be half the price of the gun. I guess I will check around for other options even like ryan said about Wal Mart
  12. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Invest in a shooting jacket or vest as well.They are padded.
  13. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

I bought a slip over limbsaver pad that is made by winchester but says "limbsaver" on the box. Going to try it later this evening. It seems it will work.
  14. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

not in Texas :eek:
  15. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Did you get the one thats slips on?