Homemade shooting rest

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crpdeth, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I'm being a little tight wadded at the moment...I went and got some canvas coin bags from the bank, and I have a bag of kiddie sand I may use, but before I do I wanted you guys opinion on what I should use for fill material...I know that sand can be a pain, especially when using the bigger guns, causing a dusting effect...I've considered using dry beans or something like that.

Thanks

~Donny
  2. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Not a bad idea! Have never had a shooting bag, beans seem like they would work...Do Banks sell these, or are they giving old ones away?...;)
  3. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Try useing "lead shot" bags or even sewed up blue jean legs, but if you do use sand, pour it into a plastic bag first to keep the dust cloud down. Another good filler is with barley, not quite as heavy as sand.
  4. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I have use sand, beans, barley and rice. Sand is heavy and dusty. Beans break up over time. Barley breaks down even faster. Brown rice lasts longest and is fairly light. I'm thinking of putting a layer of lead shot on the bottom to stabilize the rest and filling the rest with rice.

Pops
  5. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

never made one ,but i wonder if buckwheat beans would be good
  6. Txquadhunter

Txquadhunter Member

i've thought about trying saw dust since it's lite and can be packed down. you could try playground/box sand it seems to be less dusty then the rest.
  7. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Thanks guys, still brain storming here.

I've used sand in freezer bags, then placed these in burlap in the past, but the freezer bags tend to bust up in there, over time, maybe I'm a little rough with them.

I really like the lead shot idea, 1) I wouldn't have to sew or work on anything, and 2) I do plan to get into handloading for the 12 guage someday...(already have the hulls/press) so the lead shot would come in handy.

I didn't know the beans would break down over time, and I dont want to go through the trouble of buying them, and sewing the bags up with this in mind...The rice sounds better.

SG, I just went in my bank, and said I wanted to buy 4 canvas coin bags, the teller came back with them and said no charge...I'm sure most banks will want to charge something, I feel like the teller didn't know what to charge, so it was eaiser that way.

~Crp
  8. bompa

bompa New Member

Use new,not used,kitty litter.. Just remember to put it in a plastic bag before the cloth bag.. Ground corn cob works also,maybe the
    used stuff fron the tumbler would work too.. Plastic bag would be necessary of coarse..
  9. wuzzagrunt

wuzzagrunt New Member

Buck wheat hulls would be a good medium. I have a couple of those buckweat hull pillows and they are most excellent.
    https://thebirkettmills.securelook.com/

I use play sand with heavy duty (3 mils or thicker) trash bags inside the cut off legs of old work pants. Sand is a little heavy if you have to trek to your shooting station but I back my van right up to the bench, so it works for me. Leave the plastic bags open in the sun (where no cats can get into it) for a couple of days as it typically contains some moisture.

Check around at yard sales and such, for somebody getting rid of an old "bean bag" chair. There has been no demand for those things since the 70s, so you could pick one up for $1. One of those would provide you with enough material for many, many shooting rests.
  10. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

QUOTE:Use new,not used,kitty litter..

good thing you pointed that out ,you got to look out for some of these guys ,but it would be one way to Guarantee to be on the range alone
  11. JohnnyRobotic

JohnnyRobotic New Member

I would put some used in there, it would help mold the rest around the barrell and keep it's form better :p
  12. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

I did the Levi pant leg thing. Filled it with Hornady corn cobb media. It's makes for a great rest. I filled up a newspaper plastic bad up with the media, and just sewed around it with the pant leg. Simple.
  13. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

It sounds like most of us use whatever is available in our area, and the material always ends up in a plastic bag to contain it, then wraped in a fiber bag to prevent slippage of the firearm.
    The best one I have used is whole peas mixed with wheat that was spilled around the belt conveyer, put into a gallon zip-loc and wraped with a cloth flour bag.

Cost $.05 for the zip-loc bag.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2004
  14. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

I used peagravel in mine. works fine, but a bit heavy.
  15. Grunt

Grunt New Member

I use shot bags complete with shot at times but when I need a lighter wqeight bag I use canvas tubes filled with styrofoam beads...works for me.
  16. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

Styrafoam beads? Where can you get them?

I wonder how foam peanuts would work?
  17. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

ISB The "beads" also go by the name peralite, I obtained a large bag of this for a rock making project from a local gardner, but I never considered using it for fill material, Thanks Grunt, I have more than enough of this stuff out in the shed should I choose to go that route...May go buy some shot for a heavy bag, and use the peralite for filling the coin bags. Heck, I may wind up with a dozen different types of rests alltogether. :D :D

Oh I forgot...My opinion of the foam peanuts...I think they would quickly break down, and you'd have the equivalent of a bag 1/10 full of the peralite.

~Crp
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2004
  18. berto64

berto64 Active Member

I just use my black leather Motorcycle jacket. Just roll it up or clump it in a pile, whichever serves the purpose.

berto
  19. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Just happened to think of one I havent used, yet. I picked up a youth sized life vest at Goodwill and cut off the neck portion. Gonna try it as soon as I get time to go benchresting again.

Pops
  20. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Berto, that sounds real good, but while sighting in the Seven Mag I prefer the leave the leather coat on! :D :p :D

~Crp