Homemade Target Stand

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by renegadederrick, Feb 7, 2012.

1. STAYFROSTY

STAYFROSTY Member

@ carver, I bought one of the reactive self healing orange balls, I am not 100% happy with it. Keeps ne entertained for a second, but it just rolls around, Ive only shot it the day I bought and couldn't get it to bounce around with 9mm or 22. It might also help if someone mowed where we shoot!!

@ tango, I was at lowes buying pvc to build a similar target stand, I made one and filled the base with sand and sealed it off with expanda foam. (Had it laying around) but for super cheap, I picked up 3 sticks of 1" x 10' pvc for $1.43 per 10 foot yesterday, I cut them in half at an angle to make stakes, hammered in the two pieces at Target width apart and zip-tied IPSC cardboard targets to it. It really doesn't look as redneck as it sounds!!! Extremely cheap and i have 6 &7 yr olds im teaching and f they shoot the poles oh well. At .75 a pole and little work involved, easy no fuss, worry free shooting.
  2. vaskeet

vaskeet New Member

we use 2x4 frames with chicken wire across the opening and clothes pins to hold the cardbord targets. I save pizza box lids Randy
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

my recent project: I usually travel to the national forest where I hunt and camp to do the majority of my shooting so I made these stands that break down flat to save space in my truck bed. The uprights are to get replaced with angle iron as soon as I get a welder, the 2x4's only last a few sessions before they get tore up with low shots.

broken down for travel:

[​IMG]

set up:
    [​IMG]

the steels are from shootsteel.com, got all three for $118 delivered.

the uprights are hinged and 'swing' and used some heavy door springs to counter the impact. They're a little too strong to get much movement but not really an issue, they work awesome for rapid fire pistol and rifle, I even tagged the rectangle with my .458 win mag a few times, very little movement.
  4. 1LoneWolf75

1LoneWolf75 New Member

Mine are two pallets stood up with posts and filled with dirt. Not quite thick enough at 10 yrds my buddies .45 springfield went through, we found the bullets layin on the ground right behind it. It won't stop a .243 either gonna have to get another one up n refill the front two when I fill the 3rd one. Did stop my .30-30 though.
  5. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

OK, after a random trip to home depot this week, I decided to get my moving target idea 'moving' hahaa...

Basically it's a simple version of the pulley movers, just plan on tying it up myself to trees or whatever on an incline and have a string release so I can operate it myself also. It's just a cheap plastic pulley for dog runs or whatever along with a 99 cent caribeaner and a $2 spring clip. I drilled a couple holes in each and bolted them together with star washer and loctite. Just need to clip the cardboard target to it and presto, moving target on a budget.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

will do pics of the setup next time I get out to shoot.
  6. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

I keep it really simple - I use a sheet of old 1/8" plywood, print 8½x11 target sheets, tack them on and shoot them. When the plywood is shot to hell I burn the rest of it in the wood stove and get another sheet of plywood :) All I do is nail a couple angled back legs on the plywood so that it doesn't fall over :)