1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Homemade Target Stand

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by renegadederrick, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Darto

Darto New Member

The stand will take hundreds of shots and remain in place until the session ends, except for the cardboard and paper parts. :D

EDIT: could sharpen legs ends to make driving into the ground with hammer easier, and form loops on top to stick a screwdriver to pull them back out easier, but I'm lazy...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
  3. Darto

Darto New Member

Thanks, Carver!

Yours is a lightweight alternative to action shooting silouettes metallics.

Especially on the wallet!
  4. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Here is the one I built.

It requires 18' of PVC 3/4 or 1"
    6 90* elbows
    4 t connectors
    4 end caps.

The main stand uses
    6 2' pipe lengths
    2 elbows
    2 tees

The Feed uses
    4 1' pipe lengths
    2 T connectors
    4 elbows
    4 3" pipe length
    4 end caps.

I glued it all together but for ease of PVC replacement you don't want to do that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now if you had the room you could put 4 arms our from the main frame and drill them for golf tees and then glue eggs to the tees and put them in the holes.
  5. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

Ahhh, I'm happy to say I've experimented much with this topic and can confidently say: It depends. Depends a ton on the ball, there's a 1000 different ways they build golf balls. And, it depends on your .22 round. Basic 36 grain 1200 fps hollow points do far less than super-hot Aguilla SuperMax 30 grain solids at 1750 fps. Set up a bunch and shoot em'. A back stop is nice for this task.....
  6. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Tango, I like it and if you don't mind I may copy it with one change. I will leave the feet off and just stick a couple lengths of re-rod in the ground. There isn't a level place on the whole 100 acres down at the range and I couldn't stand see it leaning to one side or another, :D :D :D
  7. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Todd it is free and open source. That means you can take my design and do what you want to with it.

I started out with no feet and using rebar but after trying to use it 5 times and forgetting my hammer every time I gave up on using rebar.
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Tango, I like it! It's light weight, and very portable. I shoot at any distance from point blank, to 100+ yds. That is what I was trying to come up with when I built the one have. Yours is much lighter, and it can be taken down easy. The problem is the wind. Around here the wind would be blowing it over all the time. The re bar would help with that, but it wouldn't be as portable. Sand bags might work well. Another thing I will change is the nuts, and bolts. I think bolts with wing nuts will work, and they can be removed, and replaced with no tools.
  9. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Carver I think I switched to wingnuts in the end.

I thought about filling the feed with sand then using something like calking or epoxy to seal it off. I ended up just making some sand bags out of old shot bags and using them to weight it down. Two on each foot worked great.
  10. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

you could also use 3/4" or 1" hard foam insulation and use big clip rings to hold it on.
  11. STAYFROSTY

STAYFROSTY Member

@ carver, I bought one of the reactive self healing orange balls, I am not 100% happy with it. Keeps ne entertained for a second, but it just rolls around, Ive only shot it the day I bought and couldn't get it to bounce around with 9mm or 22. It might also help if someone mowed where we shoot!!

@ tango, I was at lowes buying pvc to build a similar target stand, I made one and filled the base with sand and sealed it off with expanda foam. (Had it laying around) but for super cheap, I picked up 3 sticks of 1" x 10' pvc for $1.43 per 10 foot yesterday, I cut them in half at an angle to make stakes, hammered in the two pieces at Target width apart and zip-tied IPSC cardboard targets to it. It really doesn't look as redneck as it sounds!!! Extremely cheap and i have 6 &7 yr olds im teaching and f they shoot the poles oh well. At .75 a pole and little work involved, easy no fuss, worry free shooting.
  12. vaskeet

vaskeet New Member

we use 2x4 frames with chicken wire across the opening and clothes pins to hold the cardbord targets. I save pizza box lids Randy
  13. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

my recent project: I usually travel to the national forest where I hunt and camp to do the majority of my shooting so I made these stands that break down flat to save space in my truck bed. The uprights are to get replaced with angle iron as soon as I get a welder, the 2x4's only last a few sessions before they get tore up with low shots.

broken down for travel:

[​IMG]

set up:
    [​IMG]

the steels are from shootsteel.com, got all three for $118 delivered.

the uprights are hinged and 'swing' and used some heavy door springs to counter the impact. They're a little too strong to get much movement but not really an issue, they work awesome for rapid fire pistol and rifle, I even tagged the rectangle with my .458 win mag a few times, very little movement.
  14. 1LoneWolf75

1LoneWolf75 Active Member

Mine are two pallets stood up with posts and filled with dirt. Not quite thick enough at 10 yrds my buddies .45 springfield went through, we found the bullets layin on the ground right behind it. It won't stop a .243 either gonna have to get another one up n refill the front two when I fill the 3rd one. Did stop my .30-30 though.
  15. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

OK, after a random trip to home depot this week, I decided to get my moving target idea 'moving' hahaa...

Basically it's a simple version of the pulley movers, just plan on tying it up myself to trees or whatever on an incline and have a string release so I can operate it myself also. It's just a cheap plastic pulley for dog runs or whatever along with a 99 cent caribeaner and a $2 spring clip. I drilled a couple holes in each and bolted them together with star washer and loctite. Just need to clip the cardboard target to it and presto, moving target on a budget.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

will do pics of the setup next time I get out to shoot.