Homemade Target Stands

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DEADEYE1964, Jan 17, 2009.

1. DEADEYE1964

DEADEYE1964 New Member

Have any of you made a homemade target stand ? If you could post a picture, I would like to see the different ideas you have. I want to make one tall enough to hold a large silhouette target. I was looking to possibly make one out of PVC so it can be broken down. Show some pics.
  2. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

First attempt at a hanging steel gong didn't work so well, the target stand kept moving.:D
    On the plus side, we couldn't find any milsurp ammo that could make a hole in the T-1 steel, even the steel core stuff.:)

[​IMG]
  3. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek New Member

I know it's not what you're looking for, but I mostly use old campaign signs. I talk to people who have them in their yards and usually they'll let you have them when the election is over. Sometimes I'll come across a person who is in charge of putting a bunch out. They'll go around and pick them up and then give me a stack that lasts me the whole year. Also (depending on the laws in your area) you can pick them up off the side of the road after the election is over. I usually wait a few days to start grabbing them.

Granted, you get some funny looks at the range when you're putting dozens of holes through a sign with some candidate / political party's name on it... :D
  4. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

I use a big FOR RENT sign, the heavy gauge kind, you can push both sides into the ground. I back targets with cardboard. It works well, but before I got my rifle sigthed in I shot the top edge and broke it clean through. It's repaired now with a piece of copper pipe.
  5. pawn

pawn New Member

i use pvc :D

(2) T shaped legs which are upside down T's and a square with a couple of clamps holding whatever cardboard I happen to use. Sorry, got no pics at the moment but the design is very simple and the target holder is probably < 5 bucks :)
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I use old pallets and 2X6s to make large stands. Albeit they arent as mobile as one might like, but then again i have my own shooting range and rarely ever have to move them.
  7. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

I have a couple of stands I made out of PVC and taped cardboard to it, but I kept coming across so many boxes at work I just started carrying a box down to the hill and stapling targets to it.
  8. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

I've done the same... the only thing I've ever heard was "hey good idea", but then people are usually pretty polite at the range, if you know what I mean. ;)

Crpdeth
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

except for when you bring out an M44, or a .480 ruger when they are trying to sight in thier deer guns before hunting season. They tend to give dirty looks and mumble under thier breath. They just need to devise a clever way of commanding space when they need to concentrate. back when i used to frequent the range and needed to sight in an accurate rifle i would bring my .44 mag and an MTM box that had "42 gr. of bluedot" written with a sharpie on the box, anyone that knew anything about reloading would sprint for thier cars and i would usually have the line to myself for a short time...
  10. pickenup

pickenup New Member

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu24.htm

Add a couple of pieces of bent re-bar (or whatever stakes) to drive in the ground in case of wind.

Most PVC joints are tight enough that you do not have to glue them. Un-glued -- all the parts fit nicely in a small bag, and are easy to carry in and set up.
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Three peices of re-bar, and two 90% pvc joints, cardboard, tape, and stick on dots.