Honour?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TranterUK, Feb 28, 2009.

1. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Something to aspire to, to be valued? Perhaps an old fashioned idea, not to be worried about?

What, if anything, does it mean to you?
  2. Lori Mick

Lori Mick New Member

It's something to be valued. I believe in it and strive to live by it.

:D
  3. It means everything, Tranter. A man without honor is a man with neither soul nor purpose in this life, a mere thing of less value than a cockroach. Yet that does not define what honor actually is. I think it may only be defined in terms of its application. A man of honor means--to me at least--one who is true to his word in all things, one who stands for, and is willing to fight for, what is right and just in this world, not merely what is expedient. An honorable man is one who is strong when strength is called for, but never one who will inflict harm without need. He is a helper of the needy, and a defender of those unable to defend themselves. The term "honorable man" is a misnomer, for a man without honor is not truly a man. Just my 2d worth, my friend. ;)
  4. SARG

SARG Member

Touched a nerve with that post.

The lack of honor..integrity..honesty..following the golden rule ... has become something I've given thought to quite a bit.

Seems the majority of the herd don't have issues about lying or misleading or stating they will do something and then just forget about it.

After several decades, I have now just started crossing people off my list and have made a concerted effort to forget they are alive. No more thinking the best and providing a second or third chance.

The expression ..... First one..shame on you and second one ... shame on me has really hit home.

Funny thing is that as I continue to cross turds off the list .... I barely notice their absence.
  5. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

I like what Pistol said.

As it was taught to me "Honor/Honour" is the constant act of relentlessly upholding other values: Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selflessness, Integrity, Courage, Generosity, Humility, Patience, Compassion.

A man who meets his enemy and defeats that enemy, and shows his enemy respect and generosity, even though he could be cruel without repercussion, he is honorable because he displays those good values.

A man who insists on being honest when he could lie and there is no one who can challenge his word, he is upholding his integrity, so then he is honorable.

A man who refuses to let fear decide his decisions has courage, and if he carries his obligations until finished, he has done his duty, so he is honorable.
  6. SaddleSarge

SaddleSarge New Member

Couldn'a said it better myself....so I won't.

"Friendly" with many.....friends with few.
  7. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Perhaps I should say what it means to me.

Everything :)
  8. That pretty well summarizes it, Tranter. ;)
  9. SARG

SARG Member

Amen.
  10. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Fits right along with "have a plan ... "

Honor (however spelled :p) is the support arm that keeps good people good.

Pops
  11. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

it is something that if you don't have it you have nothing, everything in the world means nothing without honor, there are civilizations based on honor, and every famous person has probably had a qoute related or about honor(not including actors)
  12. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Steel on target.
  13. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

Excellently put and worthy of framing.
  14. pawn

pawn New Member

+2
  15. delta13soultaker

16. artabr

artabr New Member

+3
    Well put, Delta.

Art
  17. 1shot1k

1shot1k Former Guest

:)

What Mr. Pistol said.......

Honor should be treasured when recognized..and is easy to recognize when u know what to look for.....

I am happy when I see it...and I recognize it...........
    .............for...........I remember when I had it .....:p

instant poem : by 1shot:

to him what didnt
    and to him what do
    keep close to your honor
    cause...when it go..u go too!:D:D:D
  18. Road America

Road America Member

How about the old expression "honor amoung thieves"? Can their be such a thing? How about Robin Hood- or Jean Valjean in Les Miserables - or Jimmy Valentine in the O Henry story - or O Henry himself - (he served time for bank embezelment) - or even Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid? If you mess up constantly in life and then do something honorable at the end are you an honorable person? How about the opposite - if you are an exemplary citizen all your life and then do something rotten at the end, how are you going to be judged by people? Maybe no one can be honorable until they have died - cause if they're still alive they still have a chance to screw it all up!
    Just rambling I guess.
    Jim
  19. delta13soultaker

You must recognize that values are subjective and relative. A culture, subculture, and so on defines its own values. Values are not constant between different cultures or even generations (filials) of the same culture.
  20. And in that statement lies the beginning of one heck of an interesting intellectual argument, Delta. :D

I take up this question every time I teach philosophy, just to rattle the troops, and the discussion always turns out to be fascinating. To some extent there is no question you are correct. Anyone who has traveled abroad very much realizes quickly that how things are done in the US, what we believe to be proper or morally correct behavior, differs widely from many parts of the world. The real questions that lurk just below the surface though, are, 1), does mere practice or accepted value within a culture, in itself, justify that practice or value? In other words, does mere acceptance by a culture, by definition, make that value morally valid? And 2), if we accept completely the position you state above, are we not saying that absolute moral values--values which have inherent existence for all people everywhere, at all times--simply do not exist? Food for thought . . . ;)