Hopkins & Allen, 22 single-shot rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by JT1888, Mar 17, 2009.

1. JT1888

JT1888 New Member

Markings -- Hopkins & Allen Manufacturing Compnay, Norwich CT, Merwin Hulbert Co. Jr., patent pending June 26 1885 October 2, 1988. Plain stock with metal piece where it lays against shoulder. Single-shot rifle, no other markings. Can attempt picture if you need it. Thanks.
  2. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

JT1888,

Pictures will always help, especially with a value. Give it a try if you would, Best regards Kirk
  3. PetahW

PetahW New Member

H&A made about a dozen different single-shot rifles from 1887-1914, and more if you count in .25's & .32's.

Except for their "Schuetzen Rifle" (so marked), they all have a pretty similar value - from $80 to $400 +/-, depending upon the remaining percentage of original condition.

Most bores will look like an old sewer pipe, since these were used in the days of mecuric-primed blackpowder ammunition - and is to be expected.

If it's a lever-operated dropping-block action w/round barrel, it's a #922.
    The same, w/octagon bbl is # 1922.

If it's a thumb-operated rolling block, it's a #722.
    The same, but w/military stock & an indian head in the left frame, it's a Scout - worth +20%.

If it's a lever-operated rolling block it's a #822.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

as i have mentioned before any H&A that also has M&H markings was manufctured between 1874 and 1896. these are the years M&H was the sole distributor for H&A products. other than this era there has not been enough research on either company to give exact manufacture dates of any of their firearms. hopefully someone will take up this challenge in the near future.
    bill
  5. JT1888

JT1888 New Member

I found another number 6464 on the "breech" that drops down to insert the bullet. I have some pictures and now have to figure out how to insert them into this space.
  6. JT1888

JT1888 New Member

Well, I figured it out so here are 4 picture that are nowhere near the quality I have seen on FFC but it is the best I can do with my limited photographic equipment--at least it's not a Brownie camera--I do have one of those but no film. Thanks somuch to all of you for replying This gun has been in my family for over 100 years so I am anxious to see what its history is. I found the numbers 6464 or 6454 on the pull-down breech. Thanks again.

Attached Files:

7. trapperray

trapperray New Member

Anyone know where I can find parts for a 922, need a breech block and no Numrichs doesn't have one in stock. Thanks Ray.
  8. trapperray

trapperray New Member

Got a reply on my post, but the e-mail address I recieved doesn't work, so ssdave@rushmore.com, can't reply to your e-mail, Ray