Hopkins & Allen 32 rimfire info please?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by predictatv, Jan 19, 2010.

1. predictatv

predictatv New Member

I've a Hopkins & Allen 6 shot 32 rimfire double action. This is a Bulldog type with normal trigger and trigger guard. Not a spur trigger. It's merely marked "Hopkins & Allen Arms Co." pat Jan 5 88. This is across top strap. No other marks except a 3 digit serial number on frame. Under left grip.

Small with a 2 1/2 inch octagon barrel. No loading gate. Just an opening for loading. Everything I've found proclaims such a revolver an XL Double Action. Then goes on to state that these were 22's 32 SW and 38SW. That the 32 rimfires were spur triggers. So, what do I actually have as a H&A? Will XL Double Action parts fit? It's missing the lever, lever spring? and trigger spring. With cleaning I think the nickle plate will shine up a bit.

Don't actually care what it's worth. Just an interesting revolver I'd like to get functional and know something about.
    Thanks
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

i think every thing your read about H&A should be taken with a grain or so of salt. there have been only two men joe voreick and charles carder try to make something of this company with neither being able to do very little. if both were alive today with all the information available on the internet, things might be different.

so the study of H&A firearms is a field that need a lot more research. what i have seen is that all XL series double action were marked with that name and if not marked its probably not a XL double action, but just a H&A double action. the patent date jan. 5. 1888 is probably jan.5.1886. this is for patent number 333725 for an improved double astion lock work for a solid frame double action revolver. i don't know if a copy of the patent will help determine what some of the parts look for but if a have a fire arms marked with a patent date i like to have a copy of the patent.

as far as being a 32 rimfire caliber i believe the caliber is inmaterial as most H&A chambered for 32 centerfire were also avablile as a 32 rimfire version.

i don't much about H&A but i do have the carder books on them.
    bill
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

In spite of the pioneering work of Joseph Vorisek, the whole H&A area still has a lot of gaps. There were XL DA revolvers made in .32 RF, though, including the XL Bull Dog and some of the M&H series (not the auto ejecting type we think of as M&H).

As to what parts fit, I don't know. There were just too many models and types and I don't know of any information on the mechanisms. Nor are parts available on any regular basis, though a letter to Gun Parts Corp might get more info as they sometimes have parts they don't catalog.

I share your desire to make old guns functional, but I have had ones that just were dead ends unless I actually made parts from scratch. I have done that, but only with higher quality guns where the time and labor was justified to some extent. In that case, of course, only you can decide that if you can make the parts yourself. To involve a gunsmith would be way beyond any reasonable cost effectiveness.

Good luck.

Jim