Hopkins & Allen #922 Rolling Block 22 Long Rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dcd_enterprises, Nov 1, 2007.

1. dcd_enterprises

dcd_enterprises New Member

This is a Hopkins and Allen #922 Rolling Block 22 Long Rifle purchased new by my Grandfather, I believe in the '30s. The stock is far from perfect, and the barrel is pitted both internally and externally. According to my father, this gun was very dangerous to shoot even forty years ago, because it had a hair trigger. the slightest bump would release the hammer to fire, even from the safety position. The hammer won't even lock back anymore. It is just one of those hang on the wall heirloom pieces, but would appreciate some sort of a value. Thank you for looking.

Attached Files:

2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

The Blue Book lists the #922 in 60% condition at $110.

BUT.....yours, with a bad barrel, and in unsafe shooting condition....worth maybe 50 bucks as a wall hanger.
  4. dcd_enterprises

dcd_enterprises New Member

You are quite correct on the Falling block not the Rolling block, simply incorrect term on my part. appreciate your replies.
  5. stash247

stash247 New Member

Sounds like somebody 'overdid' a trigger job, on this rifle, reducing the 'sear notch', on the hammer, too much; a new hammer, or recutting the full cock notch, would make it safely functional, again.
    I'd give a hundred bucks, anytime, for the action, and work out the problems, as necessary, at my own expense.
  6. Guns-R-Fun-50

Guns-R-Fun-50 New Member

I have one that the shell extracter is missing. I've been looking for one for a long time. Nobody can seem to get one either. A lot of smiths have told me they could make one if they had one to model from. Can anyone help! The gun works fine otherwise!
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  7. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

8. stash247

stash247 New Member

Guns, maybe you ought to talk to DCD; his extractor is intact, but somebody 'butchered' the hammer, it's a part to copy, if he will loan it to you; otherwise, he might offer a fair price, for your hammer!
    Either way, between the two of you, there could be at least one fine old rifle, back 'up and running'
    If the two of you can 'swap parts', I am glad; if not, at least you can swap information, to recreate them!
    my Stevens M 44 1/2 had many 'problems' when I bought it, as then, a Model45 'Range rifle', with a trigger that did not work, an extractor so poorly fitted that it allowed cases to rupture, etc.
    What I really wanted was a 'high grade' Model 54 rifle, but could not find one, in my budget, so I bought the rifle I now have, from a Pawn Shop, 'on the cheap' ie, for the price of the action, and rebuilt all that was broke, using modern material, and equipment.
    It needed a barrel, and got a fine piece of pipe, from Douglass, cost too much, but the 'Double X' air gauged barrels are among the best 'shooters' going, so that was what I did; extractor, poorly dimensioned, in the original barrel, went straight to the 'parts bin', replaced by a new one, out of A-2 tool steel, fabricated , and 'chambered', with the barrel, here.
    Trigger, a 'double set' was dis-assembled,then properly re-assembled, in proper order; functional, but not 'right', so I reamed the pin holes, and fitted modern dowels, as axles for the internal parts, to take the 'slop' out of a 'not well built, and never maintained' trigger of excellent design.
    Of course, I could have stopped there, didn't!
    I restocked it, in some wood I inherited from the estate of my late best friend, Dwight Lee Ingraham, a big ol' chunk, the size of a railroad tie, waxed on six sides, and air dried, for twenty years; I am told it was supposed too be Brazilian Rosewood, bought for the Lackland AFB Gunshop, to stock the Model 42 Winchester the shop built as a retirement gift, for Gen Curtis Lemay; some times this stuff gets 'over ordered', in such places, because there are no bugetary limits, for such a project!
    After a lot of reseaech, and comfirmation from the US Forestry Service Lab, in Minnesota, I discover it IS (sorta) 'rosewood', properly named Bubinga, but often called African Rosewood, with no botanical connection to the Brazilian wood.
    It is dense, 78-80# per cubic foot, so dense it will not float, and hard as a brick (I 'slabbed' the original chunk on a tablesaw; it took a carbide tipped blade, to do it!), and even with Henkel's chisels, spent more time sharpening them than moving wood!
    The rifle today shoots quite well, into 1/2 ", at a hundred yards, with ammo it likes, and was well worth the time it took.
    Think about this, before 'giving up' on the project; you might surprise yourself, with the results!
    My Stevens project was the direct result of a promise made to Dwight, years before, that one day I would indeed build a total rifle, just as a 'thank you' for all the time and training I received, at his bench, and to stock it, with (stolen) wood from his estate, seems fitting.
    Let me know, if you need help.
  9. jess4u6969

jess4u6969 New Member

ok
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  10. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

It's listed in the late 1914 H&A catalog reprint (4th from end of list) and the company folded in 1915:

http://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/item_desc.php?item_id=1345