Hopkins & Allen Double Action No 6 Revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by boringcamel, Feb 25, 2009.

1. boringcamel

boringcamel New Member

Recently my fiance's father recieved an old revolver from an old lady for helping her clean her house. He asked me if I could clean it up for him and when I picked it up from him I was curious of it because it looked pretty old, and I wondered about it origins. So after surfing around the internet reading stuff about the manufacturer I got really curious because of how old it really could be. But enough of all that.

On the top of the revolver it says ''DOUBLE ACTION No6'' and below that it says ''HOPKINS & ALLEN ARMS CO.'' and below that it says ''NORWICH, CONN. U.S.A.'' Its all silver and the grips appear to be hard black plastic. the grip is two pieces, one on each side of the handle and are held on by one screw that is surrounded by an 8 point star on the grip. above the star/screw is what looks like a sheild with the bottom half of the sheild vertical lines and the top half stars. and above the sheild theres an arch/banner that tapers from being thick at the top, to points on either side that has a star in the middle of the top of it and what looks like branches from a tree on either side of the star, all inside the arch/banner type thing.

I believe its a .32 caliber because there were 5 .32 bullets in it when he got it and the rounds all fit in the chambers. Also it is a six shot, as in having 6 chambers. I can't find a ruller or anything but I guesstimate the barrel to be about 2 1/2 to 3 inches long. And lastly on the very bottom of the handle/grip area is ''9442'' If anyone can give me any info on this piece it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  2. The Rifleman

The Rifleman Former Guest

Since you did your research, my question is - what do you wish to find out that you already didn't.

The company profile tells you that they were in business from 1902 - 1914 and that they produced a cheap firearm that is about the same quality and value as a Stevens, N.R. Davis, Crescent Firearms Co., etc

What they are trying to tell you, without hurting your feelings is that it is a cheap piece of junk.

What is it worth? $75 - $100 Not depending on condition - but on if you could find someone that would want it. It doesn't even make a good Saturday Night Special.

Just consider it a gift and that the labor they did to clean the house was worth as much as the gun she gave as payment. If it was a Smith and Wesson or Colt, they would have sold it a long time ago. But because it was such a cheap gun and nobody wanted it, they had it in a drawer or something and it sat until nobody wanted to be bothered with it anymore and she gave it away.
  3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

boringcamel please disregard the reply posted by the rifleman he is our resident village idiot. he hasall the the grace and charm of a dead skunk in the middle of the road. he's unable to answer in a respectful way and most of his answers are to put it nicely are less than correct. anyone that proclaims a winchester model 94 in 30-30 unsafe is a bubble off of plum.
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

i will address the revolver shortly,

mr rifleman i am amazed i have never seen someone on this forum be so negative about a firearm. just because it is not a colt or S&W does not mean it is not collectible. the quote on the company you used seem to be directed toward H&A shotguns not their handguns. a very shot history of H&A is:
    june 1867 incorporated as Hopkins & Allen Manufacturing Co.
    1896 name changed to Hopkins & Allen Arms Co.
    1917 ceased all production

you can't stay in business for 50 years if you manufacture junk.

now for this revolver the H&A Double Action No 6 was manufacture between 1896 and 1899. in 1899 H&A had a fire and after that the only solid frame double action revolvers manufactured were the XL series. although there was only a small difference in the double action series and the double action XL series.

value can be very low if in poor condition but some of the large frame double action models will bring as much as $300 plus if in excellent condition.

sorry i can't give you any better information on your revolver but very little has been written on H&A and a lot of that by people like mr. rifleman who don't know their a from a hole in the ground and have never done an in depth study of anything and are just repeating something they have heard.
    bill
  5. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Sorry you ran into such an inconsiderate boob
    on your first post Boringcamel. You will find that the "rifleman" is an extreme exception around here. As a matter of fact, this board was created by a group of guys who were tired of the bad attitudes present on the other boards. Here at TFF you may feel free to ask any question you like without the fear of being belittled or made to feel stupid.

By the way, welcome to TFF. Stick around and you will find a group of people here who will gladly answer your questions and make you feel right at home.
  6. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

I got one of those model No 6 pieces of "crap". and I like it. It is a nickel 32 with an engraved cowboy on a horse and a 4 inch barrel, gives it a nice ballanced look. It is about 90% and shootable, not as shootable as my 32 hand ejector smith, but none the less fun to shoot, more of a challenge you might say. they are not worth a ton of money but are very neet examples of inexpensive antique revolvers.