Hopkins & Allen "Forehand" 12ga. DBL Shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Mr.Crouse, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Mr.Crouse

Mr.Crouse New Member

Hello, A friend has a collection of old guns she wants to sell. One of them I can't seem to find anything on. It says "Forehand" Hopkins & Allen Arms Co.Norwich, Conn USA serial number 15836 and all numbers match. The overall appearance is about 75% I'd say. Any idea when it was made and what its worth?
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Mr.Crouse.....welcome to TFF. :)

Hopkins & Allen purchased the Forehand Arms Co. in 1898 and continued to produce their line of firearms into the 1920's.

H&A made both hammer-type and hammerless boxlock and sidelock shotguns, with both steel and damascus barrels, and in several grades. However, if yours is a "Plain Jane" shotgun.....no fancy engraving or such, they all have about the same value, according to the Blue Book.

90% - $195
    80% - $160
    70% - $130

As for date of manufacture......I know of no resource for Serial # to date of manufacture for H&A guns. Sorry.
  4. Mr.Crouse

Mr.Crouse New Member

Thanks for the info! Its a plain jane with steel barrels. Can it fire modern ammo? Theres other guns in the collection more interesting like a Parkers 12ga DBL muzzleloader w/o any numbers at all. Just has "London Fine Twist" on the barrrel top. and several Winchester M1892's. Theres also a Daisy DBL BB gun that I've been offered $1200 for! :)
  5. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

They above prices sound right
  6. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

I wouldn't. The earlier ones were blackpowder guns and shouldn't be used with modern ammunition. The later ones were right on the cusp of the blackpowder-modern powder changeover......so I'm not sure about them.

Better be safe than sorry.

If you really want to shoot it, take it to a competent gunsmith for a thorough "hands-on" inspection and checkover, and see what he says.
  7. Mr.Crouse

Mr.Crouse New Member

Good idea! I'll do that. If I ever did shoot it, it'd probly be just once or maybe at one of those pesky foxes round here.
  8. Mr.Crouse

Mr.Crouse New Member

Where'd be a good place to get Blackpowder ammo?
  9. Mr.Crouse

Mr.Crouse New Member

I went to a local gunsmith and he sold me a box of Classic Blackpowder Cartridges. That old 80 something gun really came to life! What a smooth shooter. No kick whatsoever. Great gun!