Hopkins & Allen Forehand D.A.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mas123, Jan 14, 2008.

1. mas123

mas123 New Member

I have had a small handgun in my family for several years. No one I've known has ever used it, but the parts still move and there is no rust. I'm told it belonged to some sort of great (how many times great, I'm unsure) grandfather of mine who worked on the railroad.
    I know not a thing about guns and firearms, and would appreciate any assistance in identifying the pistol. If it is worth anything, I would like to have it preserved.

A note with it says it is from 1886, and is a 41 caliber Forehand & Wadsworth. How valid this information is, and where it came from, I also have no idea.

Anyways, gun is a revolver style pistol which looks to hold 6 bullets. It is very small 7-8 inches in length. The top imprinting reads "Forehand D.A. Hopkins & Allen Arms Co Norwich Conn U.S.A."
    The handle seems to be black plastic and from top to bottom has a F&W insignia, a stars & stripes badge shaped insignia, and a sun insignia where the screw is on each side.
    The bottom of the handle is imprinted with 1777 58

Thanks to anyone with information. Google searches have turned up little to no helpful tips.
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi mas123.....welcome to TFF. :)

Hard to tell exactly which model of H&A Forehand revolver you have. Can you post some pictures of it.....full length, left and right sides?

Forehand & Wadsworth operated under that name from 1871 until Wadsworth's retirement in 1890. At that time it became the Forehand Arms Company until it was bought out by Hopkins & Allen in 1902. H&A continued to manufacture the Forehand revolvers using the parts they acquired from the sale until somewhere around 1910-12 (or perhaps even a little bit later).

The manufacture of Hopkins and Allen firearms ceased in 1917 when the plant was taken over by th Marlin-Rockwell Corporation for the war time production of Browning automatic rifle components.

Sooooo....to make a long story short, the name "Hopkins & Allen" on your revolver indicates that it's one of those "leftover parts" models manufactured between 1902 to 1910 or 12. Which model, however, I can't really tell from just a description.

Please list ALL of the writing on the gun, EXACTLY as it's written, and some pictures, please.
  3. mas123

mas123 New Member

Wow, sounds very confusing! No wonder I couldn't find any information.

I will get some pictures up. Unfortunately, I do not have a very high megapixel digital camera to get full detail.

Attached Files:

4. mas123

mas123 New Member

The details of the images are as follows:

1. Top logo has “F&W” in script

2. This imprinting says 1777 58

3. This imprinting says “FOREHAND D.A.”
    “HOPKINS & ALLEN ARMS CO”
    “NORWICH, CONN U.S.A.”

Attached Files:

5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Well, we know the date is wrong. It couldn't have been made before 1902 or it wouldn't have "Hopkins & Allen" on it.....and I suspect the ".41 caliber" might be wrong too. Is there any caliber marked on the revolver? It would usually be on the barrel or top strap on the frame.

What I suspect you have is the H&A Forehand Double Action Large Frame Model in .38 centerfire (possibly .38 Smith & Wesson).

Mind you, even when we nail down which model you have, the value won't be great.....in the condition your revolver is in, maybe $75-$85. BUT....I love a mystery, so let's keep going! :D
  6. DaddyHockey

DaddyHockey New Member

I too appear to have a similar revolver. I have been told my grandfather carried it as an officer in the calvary. Perhaps I can provide slightly better photos.

Attached Files:

7. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

In the 1903 Sears catalog, your grandfather's revolver sold for $1.60

Caliber will be either .32 S&W or .38 S&W.

Attached Files:

8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The gun might have been carried by an army officer as his personal weapon, but it was not army issue.

Jim