Hopkins & Allen Forehand Model 1901 .32 S&W

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Topbreak01, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Topbreak01

Topbreak01 New Member

Hi all i'am new to The Firearms Forum and have just made my first purchase with my C&R license.I purchased a H&A Forehand Model 1901 .32 S&W Caliber in excellent condition.The bore is bright and shiny with no pits that i can see and the nickel plating is in great shape as well.It is a 6 shot and the serial number is D3300.Could anyone tell me what year this was made and if it was made for black powder ammo or smokeless ammo.Here are some pictures and if any more info is required i will do my best.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the "forehand model of 1901" was introduced by hopkins & allen in 1901 after it accuired the forehand arms co. factory about 1899/1900. it is generally accepted this model was discontinued about 1910 when the hopkins & allen 'safety police" model was introduced. there has been two books written on H&A by charles carder (both in reprint by fairway press), however both of these books present little information as to when H&A models were actually manufactured and give no serial number information.

the best i can tell this revolver was manufactured late in production after a change was made to the cylinder retainer. the early production of the 'forehand model of 1901' were nothing more than remarked forehand arms co. models and only later production had any new improvements. the forehand arms co. designed top break revolvers date to pre1890 forehand & wadsworth top break revolvers. the 'forehand model of 1901' was an old obselete design when first manufatured and was only manufactured until H&A could rebuild their factory after it was destroyed by a fire in 1898/1899 era.

my best guess as to age of the revolver would be 1905 to 1910. and as to what cartridges this revolver is designed for i can only state the only reference i can find to smokeless powder and H&A handguns is a reference in a 1910 catalog that states for the single shot target pistol the caliber is 22 rimfire 'black or smokeless powder'. another statement in the same catalog about the safety police model is that in a government test 923 smokeless rounds were fired through it, this is far short of any requirement the u.s. government had for revolvers.

my opinion is DO NOT FIRE ANY HOPKINS & ALLEN HANDGUNS WITH SMOKELESS POWDER.
    bill
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  3. Topbreak01

Topbreak01 New Member

Thanks Bill for the info it is Very Helpful:)