1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Hopkins & Allen Parts

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by QMarius, Oct 28, 2008.

1. QMarius

QMarius New Member

I'm looking for a bit of help. A few years back, I inherited my father's gun collection upon his death. In this small collection was a tiny .32 cal 5-shot revolver. Over the years, I've enjoyed firing it on the range and even loaned it once. That was a mistake. The revolver was returned with the loading gate snapped off. I have been unable to locate a replacement part. This is a very small frame revolver, looks to be intended for a lady's purse. The only markings are on the top strap over the cylinder -HOPKINS & ALLEN MFG Co PAT MAR 28 71 JAN 5 88 X.L.8 DOUBLE ACTION 32 CAL CENTRE FIRE- The serial number appears to be on the trigger group, partially obstructed by the frame. Ammunition is hard to come by, but well worth the extra cost as it was a great "introductory" weapon for some I've had the pleasure of introducing to the world of shooting. It's the most "non-threatening " gun I own and has a bit of sentimental value. I'm loath to use it in any way with the loading gate missing and would dearly love to repair it. Can anyone help in finding a new loading gate for it?
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

i am suprised that only the loading gate broke. most H&A revolver are not considered safe with modern ammo this includes the XL series of double action solid frame revolvers that have the patent dates on the barrel or frame. for parts try the larger used parts supplier like numrich arms, jack first or bob gun shop in arkansas. most have web sites.
    bill
  3. QMarius

QMarius New Member

Thank you! I placed my order with Numrich Arms. All things going well, I'll have the gate within three days. Actually, the friend who snapped the gate off admitted he used the wrong size bore brush trying to clean it. The brush got stuck and he snapped the gate off trying to gain leverage to pull the brush back through. I had read in a referenced thread in this forum that these revolvers were designed with black powder in mind. When I hand this over to a gunsmith, I'll be asking for a check on the cylinder and barrel and see about custom loads. Black powder even? Seems like it might be interesting what I'll be learning in the next few days.