Hopkins & Allen Safety Police

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by rocklinskier, Nov 9, 2009.

1. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

Hey all,

Need a little help with Identity. Would like to get any info I can on this old pistol.

It belonged to my wife's grandfather. He used it on his fishing boat as a 'shark gun'. Remember when it wasn't incorrect to shoot sharks and seals for eating your catch?? Times have changed.

ON to the gun:

Hopkins & Allen Arms Co. 'Safety Police' USA Pat. Aug21 1906 Ser# E577

I saw some other post stating that it may be between 1910-1917, but any other info would be helpful.

Value would be interesting, but not essential. It's one of those never gonna sell it, or part with it things. Grandpas boat gun.

It's really worn. the cylinder rattles around like a nobody's business. Would probably shoot, but I'll likely never know. Also, think I read no modern ammo. Black powder only? There are two boxes of 38 shorts that were stored with it. by the look of the boxes, I would say ammo is from late '70's. Im sure this is what he used. Kinda scary. there was a full box of winchester super x nickel case, unjacketed lead, and a box of Rem brass case lead, and then some loose box REALLY corroded rounds as well. Probably from being on the boat in the salt water enviroment.

Just want as much info as I can to record for the family of generations to come.

Also, would it be a crime to take a little oil soaked 000 steel wool to it, or is there another way to clean it up a bit without defacing it?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

i believe this model was made between 1906 and 1917. the blue book (30the edition) list these in 100% comdition at $375 (ibelieve this is a little high) all the way down to $185 in 60% condition (also a little high).

what your gun has going for it is the over size grips (which are original) but i don't know if they would help a revolver in the condition as yours is in.
    bill