Hopkins & Allen XL Double Action

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by duck32man, Nov 20, 2011.

1. duck32man

duck32man Member

I am looking for a trigger return spring for a Hopkins and Allen XL Double Action folding hammer. I found a part called a rebound on numrichs. Is this the same thing? DOes anyone know where I could get one for a 38 (large frame)? Thanks
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Nope. You need what they list as Trigger Spring, Replacement. They are sold out. You can obtain a variety of differently-sized V-springs from a number of sources and carefully fit them to your revolver, however.
  3. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

If you have the old spring post a picture or give a detailed description. I may have it or know where you can get it. Good luck.
  4. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

And worst comes to worst, we can certainly make it.
  5. duck32man

duck32man Member

stone - do you know the part number? Here is the picture of what it looks like. Gun is an excellent shape otherwise. 98% finish. I'd love to have it working again. Thanks Guys!

Attached Files:

6. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Don't know that Hopkins & Allen had part numbers, but I think it was #16 on the schematic (might be wrong on that - going from memory).

Anyway, Wolff Gunsprings offers their Kit #7. One of those springs can probably be adapted to fit. Measurements are on the Wolff Gunsprings website.

Use the private messaging feature if you want to discuss us performing the repair.
  7. ShootinBlankz

ShootinBlankz New Member

I don't see anything wrong with that spring!?!?! If your have trouble with trigger rest the spring wasn't installed correctly. If you care for pictures o correct install I will send you a breakdown with photos.
  8. duck32man

duck32man Member

We'll almost two years later I found a great original spring. I spent thirty minutes tweaking it and bang...click, she returns like brand new. Patience, for once, paid off. Now I'm curious when s# 870x was made. 38 caliber.

Attached Files:

9. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

There are no H&A serial no. records, but here's a fancier version with ejector rod and lanyard ring in the 1887 Merwin Hulbert catalog:

Attached Files:

10. duck32man

duck32man Member

Bummer, all numbers match even the grips have the serial number on them. Thanks hrf.