1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Hopkins & Allen XL No 3 N.Y.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CyberViking27, Sep 21, 2011.

1. CyberViking27

CyberViking27 New Member

I have this old revolver and was curious as to it's age and relative value.

It is engraved on the top strap:

Hopkins & Allen Mfg. Co.
    XL No 3 N.Y.
    Pat. Mar. 28, 1871

It is a .32 rimfire, 5 round revolver with a tear drop trigger.

The serial number engraved on the cylinder pin and the cylinder is 1265.

From some of the information I've found already I know there should also be a serial number under the wooden grips. However, I'm not about to remove them to check since the gun is in such fantastic condition and I don't want to risk damaging the screw head.

The nickel finish is around 95% and the wood grips are in great condition. The rifling in the octagonal barrel is still deep and has sharp edges. The knurling on the trigger, hammer, cylinder pin, and pin retaining lever is all crisp and deep. It appears to be completely functional and I do have a box of 50 rounds for it. However, I have no intention of firing it. I really think this gun was purchased and sat in someone's desk drawer for it's entire life since it shows so little wear.

Since I've no pictures I tried my best to describe the details. I'm not so concerned about value as I am about age. I think it's a rather striking little revolver and don't intend to part with it. I'm just curious to get more information about it. Thank you.
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. Hopkins & Allen ended business in 1915 and there are no serial number records, but your rimfire XL No 3 dates from 1870s or early 1880s. The "tear drop trigger" is usually called a spur trigger.

There was also a later XL No 3 that was a double action centerfire revolver.

Depending on maker and condition, an intact early box of .32 rimfire may be worth as much as the gun.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  3. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

hrf, yeah the first thought that hit me was "Don't use the ammo!" Ya just hate to hear of people shooting it up not realizing it was worth more than the gun. Sometimes :eek:

Welcome to the forum Cyber. Sounds like great collecter condition but I'm not sure of value. I have a .38 probably 75-85 percent at best that may be worth $125? In case you are wondering.
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

As a collector, I more inclined to believe the value of that piece, in that condition should be closer to $300 or more, to a COLLECTOR of single action spur trigger rimfires. I have a friend who goes to shows all over the country, sells and collects that type of gun - I've seen some of his nicer condition pieces sell for at least that amount. You need to connect with the right buyer to realize the best value on something like that. A gunshop may offer you $75.