Hopkins & Allen?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by captsin, Oct 26, 2009.

1. captsin

captsin New Member

Can anyone help with info. on this gun, I think it is a Hopkins & Allen,because of the dog head grips. It has no markings except for a serial number on the handle under the left grip and the underside of the barrell. I think it is a 32 rimfire.
    Thanks for any help,John

Attached Files:

2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The frame looks like no H&A that I'm familiar with, in fact the frame looks more like a C.S. Shattuck pocket pistol { manufactured by Iver Johnson and the Shattuck had a swing out cylinder} or even H&R Saw handle frame [ except the cylinder doesn't match on either ]. I would also say the barrel is a later add on. I think it is a Frankenstein.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  3. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Can you post a close-up of the dogs head? Several companies used versions of a dogs head on their revolvers. Hopkins & Allen, Iver Johnson and Forehand & Wadsworth among them.

Dean
  4. captsin

captsin New Member

Some pictures, DSCF0388.JPG

DSCF0389.JPG

DSCF0390.JPG
  5. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

That dog's head grip is a Hopkins and Allen.
    Next question would be if anyone has seen one of these before. Because of the nickled barrel and unmatched frame.cylinder, I'm with RJay that is may be a "Frankengun". Even if it is, it's kind of neat.:D
    BTW, whats the barrel length? If it's under 16", it could be trouble as it would fall under the NFA regulations (Even if it is an antique).

Dean

added: I was just looking at the buttstock again. Are there any kinds of marks on it or the buttplate? I ask because that method of attachment looks like what S&W used. If it happens to be S&W, there is definitely value in it by itself.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  6. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this is definitely a product of H&A. charles carder has a picture of one called the "chichester repeating rifle" in his book on page 36. they were chambered for 22, 32 or 38 caliber (centerfire or rimfire not mentioned). i like the other poster question the barrel being original or not. the book says the barrel length is 22 inches. it appears strange this barrel is silver in color while the rest of the rifle (frame and cylinder) are not.

bill
  7. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Thank you Bill, Sometimes I amaze myself by what I don't know. :) In a previous life in a different area of endeavor I was considered the Pro from Dover. In this life I doubt if I have enough time to become nearly as proficient as I would like to be. My sweet wife just asked me what in the world did I order from Cornell publishing that cost so much. :) But she really doesn't mind, keeps me out of the bars.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  8. captsin

captsin New Member

I again checked for any other marking,found none. The barrel 24" long & is brass. The cylinder appears to 38 cal. rimfire and the barrel measures at 28 ga. or 54 cal. I also feel this is a "frankengun". The barrel has the same serial number as the frame and has the exact size and type numbers. Also the frame was plated at one time. I want to thank RJay,deadin and b.goforth for ya'll's help.
    John