HOPKINS & ALLEN

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by chin0626, Dec 20, 2009.

1. chin0626

chin0626 New Member

MY GRANDFATHER HAS A HOPKINS & ALLEN GUN IT SAYS PAT. JUNE 23. 1885 25 CAL RIM FIRE I TRIED TO GOOGLE IT AND I COULDNT FIND WHAT I NEEDED IT WAS ALL FOR 22 RIFLES WAS JUST WOUNDERING IF IT WAS A COMMON GUN AND WHAT IT MIGHT BE WORTH TODAY I ALSO FOUND BULLETS FOR IT NOT THAT I CAN FIRE IT IT NEEDS TO BE CLEANED, AND IT ALSO HAS AN OCTAGON BARRAL NOT SURE IF THATS ALSO COMMON FOR THAT GUN. THIS IS MY FIRST POST SO IM NOT SURE HOW THIS WORKS ANY INSITE FORM ANY ONE WOULD BE HELPFULL THANKS CHIN0626.
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

.25 rimfire (probably .25 Stevens) was once a common caliber in light rifles, but the ammunition has not been made for nearly 70 years. The ammunition you have might not fire, but if it does, assume it is corrosive and clean the barrel accordingly.

Hopkins & Allen was one of the major firearms manufacturing companies, making handguns, rifles, and shotguns under their own name and also making guns for other companies, like Merwin & Hulbert. Their guns were well made and of good quality, but they went out of business in 1915, so it is unlikely that any parts will be available should you need them.

Value, I am afraid, is not high, but depends on condition. If there is a lot of original finish and the barrel is good, it might bring $250. In average condition, less.

Jim
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2009