Hopkins and Allen 32 revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Old Wheelgun, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Old Wheelgun

Old Wheelgun New Member

Hello. I have an old Hopkins and Allen revolver that's been in my family for a very long time. It's a Ranger Number 2 with a round barrel and yellow grips. My only concern with the gun is that when i took the gun apart for a cleaning, I noticed a crack in the frame (inside the hole in the frame where the base pin is pushed down inside.) It's right next to where the hand comes out of the frame to rotate the cylinder.) I only noticed this after I fired the gun with some Navy Arms 32 long rim fire ammo. I only shot the gun 10 times (not all in one day) only now and then I would put 1 or 2 rounds in it. Is this crack from firing the gun? The gun is in overall good shape being about 85% with some very very light pitting in the barrel and chambers but really good for its age. Other than that it's in very good working order and cocks. Note: The half cock on the hammer works and stays in position but for some reason when you pull the trigger when it's in half cock, the hammer drops. Is that normal to do that or are all these guns like that or is the half cock notch in the hammer worn out? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You, Bill
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this revolver has major problems as a result of firing it with the wrong ammo, smoleless intead of black powder. do not fire this revolver again with any ammo. any more firing can only harm the revolver and maybe hurt you. the "RANGER" single action spur trigger revolver was manufucted between the 1870's and 1890"s.

it is my understanding that the navy arms 32 rimfire was (is) loaded woth smokeless powder.
    bill
  3. Old Wheelgun

Old Wheelgun New Member

thank you for your help bill. Those rounds that i had were the only ones left in the box of shells.