Hopkins and Allen 38 Safety Police Pistol?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Dave34, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Dave34

Dave34 New Member

I have a Hopkins and Allen 38 Safety Police revolver on top of the barrel under the company name it says Norwich. Conn. U.S.A PAT'D Aug 2M906 and the serial number on the handle I think is G6673 can anyone tell me anything about this gun like when it was made and how much it is worth. It was found in an oil drum outside Washington, DC about 30 years ago by my grandfather no one knows how long it had been there or how it got there. Any help is appreciated
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the hopkins & allen 'safety police model' was the last top break design manufactured by them between about 1910 and 1917. it was also their best top break design and was almost as good as iver johnson's hammer the hammer action. the safety police model has a hammer mounted on a cam and the hammer cannot reach the firing pin unless the trigger is actually pulled through its firing cycle. the problem is the hammer and cam are a fragile arrangement and do get out of time. this action was also tested by the government in 1910 but failed after only 923 round of smokeless rounds were fired. therefore it is my opinion that these revolver should not be fired with modern smokeless ammo. there are no know factory serial number records that give we can use the identify year of manufacture except the era 1910-1917.
    bill