Hopkins and Allen hand gun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by candymc549, Feb 3, 2008.

1. candymc549

candymc549 New Member

This is a 5 shot, 32cal. hand gun. Made by Hopkins and Allen Arms Co. It has safety police engraved across the top and Norwick, Conn. USA . On the under side of the hand grip is engraved #447. It has a mother of pearl handle that is good conditon. I suspose it is nickle plated and has brass enserts on the top of the grip. It is in good condition for it's age. The man that owns it says it shoots well. I am sending several pictures, and I hope someone can help me. I would like to know it's age and value. And anything else anyone can tell me. He wants to sell it and I would like to find out about it before I think about buying it. thks.

Attached Files:

2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the H&A 'safety police' model was their last and best top break revolver manufactured between early 1900's (about 1905) and 1917. it uses a patented double action mechanism that keeps the hammer away from the firing pin until the trigger is pulled (almost as good as iver johnson's 'hammer the hammer'). the only problem is there is no indication that H&A ever manufactured any of their revolvers for smokeless powder cartridge pressures. this is not a revolver i would fire with modern smokeless ammo regardless of its condition. in fact to keep it in its present condition it would be best to retire it.
    bill