HOPKINS AND ALLEN MOD.29 rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by muscledcactus, Jul 6, 2011.

1. muscledcactus

muscledcactus New Member

I have a Hopkins and Allen cap and ball rifle.The only info on it, is on the barrel.It reads MOD.29
    HOPKINS AND ALLEN
    00512 CAL.50
    BLACK POWDER ONLY
    Can anyone give me any info on when this gun was made? I've checked out some pretty informative sites.I found out that the co. started out as Hopkins and Allen in 1868,then later changed to Hopkins and Allen mfg co. then later to Hopkins and Allen Arms co. I can't seem to get any info on the earlier Hopkins and Allen.I have a friend that is an antique gun collector, he said he thinks the serial#00512 is the 512th rifle made of this model.
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  2. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

The fact that it is marked "Black Powder Only" means it is a modern gun-not an antique.
    Numrich Arms owned the H&A name, and made guns so marked in the 1970s.
  3. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

I think Numrich started making H&A muzzleloaders in 1950s and they still list parts for some models, but you can call them and probably date your gun more accurately:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ContactUs.aspx
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Definitely a NUMRICH/Gun Parts Corp. made firearm - a modern reproduction made from older parts.
    Numrich also "made" a number of other firearms from parts kits they purchased over the years - Thompson Auto Ornance comes to mind.
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  5. muscledcactus

muscledcactus New Member

Thank you guys! you've been very helpful.