Hopkins and Allen pistol

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by dale walters, Apr 19, 2010.

1. dale walters

dale walters New Member

Hi Gang,newbie Dale Walters here.(I hope I'm in the right place) My wife had left to her by her grandmother a hopkins and allen pocket pistol, Patten on the top strap says Mar.28,71- Jan.8,88 XL 3 double action 32 cal. centre fire. There is a no.601 under the cylinder pin(exposed) and the no.683 on the(folding)hammer spur.It is nickle plated,has a 2 3/4 inch barrel(octogon) 5 shot, and has no loading gate,and what "appears" to be pearl grips. This pistol has a little bit of wear on it (nothing major). We have shot this pistol (black powder cartridge).It worked real good. Any info on this nice old gun would be appreciated. Thanks a millon for your help with this. Dale L. Walters
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

In general H&A products were better made than many of the pocket revolvers of that era. The XL Double Action was made from 1875-1907; the folding hammer spur was a fairly popular option. The serial number was usually also placed on the rear of the cylinder. The second patent date is Jan. 5, 1886, and the serial number indicates your gun was probably made in that year. You were wise to use black powder cartridges, though I have fired mine (No. 1521) with factory ammo.

Those guns have a mild collector interest if in new or near-new condition; even then, the value seldom exceeds $200.

Jim
    Big Shrek likes this.
  3. dale walters

dale walters New Member

Jim K, Thanks for the info on my wifes old H&A pistol. I went and looked at the back of the cylinder, "low and behold" the no. 601. Thanks again for your help.
  4. wseidel

wseidel New Member

Hi Jim,

I came across this thread during an internet search regarding age of my Hopkins and Allen revolver. It has the same exact markings as Dale's on the topstrap (with your corrected 1886 date). Mine has the number 636 in three locations - the back of the cylinder, underside of barrel and underneath the left grip. It has the number 595 on the folding hammer spur. Unlike Dale's, mine has black plastic grips. Can you provide me with the age (build date) based on this information? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Wayne
    Big Shrek likes this.
  5. wseidel

wseidel New Member

Would anyone else be able to help me determine the age of my Hopkins and Allen revolver? I've sent a PM to Jim K but have not received a reply yet.

Thanks for your assistance!
    Wayne
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The information above your post is still valid, H&A first used the XL markings in 1871, The DA XL 3 was introduced in 1885. H&A folded their tents in 1917. Only a little research has been made available in reference to the H&A firearms and I know of no serial number data base for the guns., so any pin point dating is by guess and by golly. Sorry about that.
  7. wseidel

wseidel New Member

Thank you, RJay....much appreciated. My hope was that the gun would be older than 1897 to qualify as an antique in relation to ATF regulations. Unfortunately, I see it may be difficult to justify that even though evidence such as the topstrap marking not reading "H & A Arms" (which would mean it was 1898 or later by some accounts) appear to indicate an earlier date. Again, I appreciate your time and if anyone has any further light to shed on this topic I would be grateful.

Wayne
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  8. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

H&A was bought by Marlin Firearms...they later produced a Marlin pistol,
    which, IIRC, was pretty much an copy & update of the best H&A on hand...
    Wish Bill Goforth was still around...he'd remember!
  9. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I know Marlin bought H&A's tools, hardware and designs in 1916 or there about, but weren't all of Marlins handguns made before 1900??