Hopkins and Allen Shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by LudemJo, Dec 25, 2009.

1. LudemJo

LudemJo New Member

Marry Christmas everyone!!!

I have a Hopkins and Allen falling block shotgun. It has a takedown screw on the right hand side of the receiver with a thumbscrew. The hammer is external. I had thought that it appeared to be a 12 GA, but I just tried to chamber a modern 12 GA shell and it will not fit, but the breach looks to be larger than a 20 GA single shot I have (unfortunately I do not have any 20 GA ammo, to try). It is unusual in that the finish on the metal parts appears to be non-blued steel. On the top of the barrel it has stamped, "Made By Hopkins and Allen Manfg. Co. Norwich, Conn USA", followed by some patent information. There is also a stamp following that that either says 1C or 10 hard to tell. The serial number on the exposed part of the lever action when opened shows either 5958 or 6958...the first digit is mostly hidden by the receiver. The wood appears to be original although there is no buttplate, and the stock is a little loose.

I have seen what there is out on the Internet, which isn't much. Any comments and pictures I have seen do not look like mine because of the non-blued finish. Anybody out there have any idea what this may be worth? I have no emotional ties to this shotgun and may be interested in selling it if it will bring in any significant money. The gun was my grandfather's, but I had never seen it around the house until it was given to me after his death...other guns he had, I would never part with if I had received them.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

John
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  2. LudemJo

LudemJo New Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009