Hopkins and Allen XL 8 info?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Rip Tombstone, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Rip Tombstone

Rip Tombstone New Member

Hopkins and Allen XL 3 info?

Howdy all.

I am trying to find out some info about Hopkins and Allen XL8 revolvers. I am looking at one locally, and would like to know some more details.

Are the XL8s a bigger frame than most pocket models?

I have found that they are chambered in .44, is a .32 a possibility?

Was an ejector rod a factory option?

Thanks a bunch!
    RT
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the H&A XL No.8 is generally considered to be a large frame single action revolver chambered for 38 or 44 caliber cartridges, how ever not enough research has been done to say no 32's were ever made. pictures are going to be need to determine for sure what this revolver is as their are at least two other XL series of H&A revolvers, a double action series and a single action spur trigger series.
    bill
  3. hrf

hrf Active Member

If the gun you looked at is a .32, it's likely an XL-3, a much smaller revolver: The 3's are stamped so deeply and the curve end's so nearly closed, that they are often misread as XL-8's.

The large XL-8 sixshooter was made only in .44-40 and .44 rimfire calibers.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  4. Rip Tombstone

Rip Tombstone New Member

Well, thats what I thought too, that the 8s were 44.
    Isnt the XL3 a spur trigger job?
    This one looks like an XL-5 via different auctions.

I can see that the 3, 5, and 8 could all be mistaken for another tho.

Rip
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this is an early version of the XL double action series (made before the fire of 1899). it has two of the unique (to H&A only) options available the folding hammer and the cartridge ejector. charles carder's book Hopkins & Allen Revolvers & Pistols shows a picture of an XL No.5 (38 caliber) just like it. for my two cents i would say this is a H&A XL 3 Double Action (32 caliber).

if you could show pictures of the top strap markings maybe a different set of eyes would help determine exactly what it is. but what ever the two options are goinf to add value. just how much i am not prepared to say for now.

what it is not is one of the XL 8 large frame single action revolver aka as the army, navy or police models. yes there was a single action spur trigger XL series also.

bill
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  6. Rip Tombstone

Rip Tombstone New Member

Ok. Makes perfect sense to me? There were several different models of XL revolvers, all with the same numbers? XL3 spur trigger, and an XL3 d.a.?

Think its worth 200?
    Thanks! Rip