Hopkins and Allen XL8

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by nrose07, Aug 18, 2012.

1. nrose07

nrose07 New Member

Just got a hand me down and I'm doing some research into its era, rarity, and value. Hopkins & Allen XL8 .44 SA nickel plated with a lanyard. Serial number #58. I'm thinking this was a navy issue with the plating and lanyard?

Attached Files:

2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

It looks to be a H&A Army Model, However in spite of the name there is no record of the US military ( or any Military ) ever ordering them or using them.
    There was a Army Model, Navy Model and Police Model. Manufactured from the late 1870's until the early 1880's. Flayderman's guide states only a few hundred were made. It is listed in good condition at 500, yours seems to be less than good so I would scale down the value accordingly. FWIW, nickle plating was desirable in the black powder era because of the ease in cleaning, later in the modern smokeless cartridge era most inexpensive firearms were nickle plated because it was cheaper to plate them than have a workman spend the time polish them for bluing. Blued guns usually sold for a few cents more on the market.
  3. nrose07

nrose07 New Member

Thank you! That was just what I needed and also where I need to do more reading. I didn't know about Flayderman, but I've found the guide online and the 9th edition now values it at $900. Thanks RJay!