Hording is alive and well!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dsv424, Sep 17, 2009.

1. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

I was at my local Bas Pro yesterday and low and behold they had Rem. SP, LP, and SR. They were sorted in individual packs of 100 going for $3.49 each. And there was about 40 or 50 packs of each size so I grabbed 3 of each just to keep my supply up. While I was still in the aisle looking at some powder this guy came up with a hand basket and simple scooped the entire shelf of primers into the basket, didn't leave a single pack on the shelf. I was astounded, so I had to say something. I asked him if he was buying for himself and a few of his reloading buddies and he just smiled and said "Nope just for me". I just shook my head and walked away. To each his own I guess but I just don't understand this mentality!:confused:
  2. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Yeah I dont get this either, I keep 500 or so on hand but what heck you gonna do with 3 or 4 thousand primers. I mena c'mon how long can anyone person hold out? Couple of hours? If the chit really did hit the proverbial fan, You arent gonna hold any group off even with 5000 rounds. I shoot a lot when I do shoot (lately havent shot any) and I keep a 1000 rounds of 38's on hand and always have more than enough to deer hunt with. Why would you decide you need that many rounds? I dunno.........
  3. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Ya know its funny, he probably though he was going to gouge a profit on some online auction. I am finding primers at stores online at least once a week, I'm not sure what the big fricken deal is with this anymore. By the way you are lucky - Bass Pro here in Las Vegas charges 4.99 per 100 on any of the primers, another store I went to locally wanted 49 bucks for 1000 magtec SP primers, what a joke.
  4. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

now now, i'm no hoarder, I can't afford it, but even if the chit hit the fan hard, i think i could head for the hills and depending on how organized the resistance was i belive i could hold out until i ran out of supplies. thats just with some basic knowledge and a good dose of common sense. if you stay in a city or other desly populated area, yea i give you a couple of hours. but if you can escape the chaos then you can survive as long as you have the means.
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

For those that are only buying with profit in mind, I think they'll get their "just desserts" in the end. My thinking is to go ahead and let them buy all they'd like, I've ordered and received two primer orders within the last 6 weeks. I think we're about out of the woods. I'll be stocking up on primers that I'll need, but not more than a couple of years worth. btw, with shipping and hazmat, I payed just a hair over $37.00 / 1000 for Magtechs last month. I thought that was a little steep, but $49 !!!! :eek:
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

"I keep 500 or so on hand but what heck you gonna do with 3 or 4 thousand primers."

Last time I put in a primer order, I bought 40 thousand. Mixed SP, LP, SR, LR and Shotshell. That was in January of '07. The CCIs and the shotshell were 20 dollars a thousand. The Mag-Techs were 15.60. People been complaining about how they couldn't find primers, for the past year, since the election. Hasn't bothered me. I've been sitting back, loading ammo. Sat down, last week, and primed 1500 38 special cases. Hard to do that when you only have 3 or 4 hundred primers.

If my supply was getting low, and I walked into a store and they had a shelf full of primers, and I had the money, I'd buy 'em all too. It's not "hoarding". Hoarding is, in my opinion, buying a huge supply of something, hopefully cheap, and waiting for shortages to drive the price up, so you can make a killing on 'em, selling them. Kinda like ticket scalping. Buying 50 tickets to a concert you have no plans on seeing, just so you can sell them for a profit at the theater.

What I do is called "stockpiling". If there is something I use, and it is there, and I can afford it, I buy it. That way, when I need it, I've got it.
  7. medalguy

medalguy Member

I'm with Alpo. I just received 20,000 Remington SR primers last week, and I've already loaded almost 3,000 of them and will use up most of them this weekend finishing up all that 5.56 brass I've been hoarding. This way I can take my M16 out and shoot all I want all winter long when it's too cold to do anything else.

If you load your own and shoot it, it's definitely not hoarding. Me, I want to have a good supply of ammo "just in case"--in case I want to shoot, in case they decide to add more taxes on the cost of components, in case of a continued shortage, or in case of anything else you can think of.:p
  8. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

Maybe hoarding is the wrong word. How about "inconsiderate" of fellow reloaders. But like I said in my first post "To each his Own". When I picked up those 300 hundred of each I was thinking about all those other reloaders that come to that same store everyday with hope of finding some just to start their new hobby. It would be ignorant on my part to think everyone has the same mind set as I.;)
  9. Freebore

Freebore New Member

"Bingo".....you nailed it correctly in those few words
  10. Rembrandt

Rembrandt Member

While its a noble gesture to save some for the next guy....it's naive to think everyone has the same reloading needs as yourself and others are inconsiderate for taking more than you.

If the store thought it was a problem they would put a limit on purchases....since they didn't, why interfere with capitalism's free market system? They are just trying to make a profit by selling things that people want.

What I keep in stock most people wouldn't shoot up in a lifetime. I purchase in large quantities to get better pricing and hedge price increases. Shooting more than most doesn't make me a hoarder, it just means I'm a more active shooter.
  11. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I try to keep at least 300 rounds for everything I fire. I have enough supplies for at least 200 round of reloads for everything I fire with the exception of .32 acp. I have 1000 rnds of those but the wife and I both carry.
  12. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

If it hits the fan I can think of a lot more reasons to have ammo than to hold off groups of zombies...

Crpdeth
  13. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Bingo. I know, personally, cowboy shooters that go through 2 or 3 hundred rounds a week in practice. This isn't a hobby. These people are competitors. They shoot. Many of them make their living off shooting. Buying three hundred primers every month or so won't make it.
  14. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

if i had the money i would buy all the ammo i could find in every caliber i have. would have used to done that 3 or 4 years ago. i like having a good supply of ammo. i have 1000 rounds of 40 right now. every time i go to walmart i get more, the wife doesnt understand.
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

If it were me I would have bought all but one pack of each. I always try to leave some for the next guy, but thats just me... BTW i also have plenty of primers to get me through the winter...;)