Hornadays Leverevolution for 30-30

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by hunter29180, Nov 5, 2012.

1. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

has anyone loaded for this? I see the bullets are available, but havent seen the Leverevolution powder yet.

does this bullet require a diffrent die to properly seat the bullet due to the flexable tip?
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    While I haven't tried to reload with this bullet, I do like it! Turned my 30-30 into a 150 to 200 yard shooter. I'm sure that the flexable tip won't make any difference in the re-loading process.
  3. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

I shot a quick question to one of my good friends I grew up with. He is a shooter on Team Hornady and he may know or can find out and when powder may be available. I will let you know when he gets back to me.
  4. zant

zant Active Member

I've been wondering about powder too,but in a Marlin 45/70GG....a local gunsmith retired and I bought 6 boxes for $15 each-stout and accurate-now I want to load my own.
  5. hunter29180

Thanks terryu1!

I have the Hornaday reloding manuel (8th edition) that has the reloading info for this bullet and powder in 165 gn bullet with powder listed. I have shot the factory load and where I was hitting the target at 150 yds before..with these I hit about 1/2 to 3/4 inch high! so will have to resight scope for them!

zant, my manuel shows the 325 Leverevolution bullet for the 45-70, but does not show it using the Leverevolution powder. it shows IMR 4198, H 4198, VIHT N-120, A1680,RL-7 and A2230 powders being used.
  6. terryu1

He didn't get back to me yet. Do you have any specific questions. I will ask him or I will call him tomorrow at his shop. He may not be home as he travels quite a bit for competitions and he also has to do some "booth time" at shows and seminars for Hornady.
  7. JTofGPD

JTofGPD New Member

I load the ftx over 33 gr of LVR, trim length 2.030" with an overall length of 2.535. It will shoot 1 moa out of my Marlin 336 glenfield if i do my part. Powder meters well too.
  8. hunter29180

Yes! I have seen the heaver bullets for the 30-30, but the manuel only shows the 165, is this the only recommended load for the 30-30 or will Hornaday be listing others in the 9th edition? if so would he share the recipe for the 180 gn sst?

that is the one I am most interested in.
  9. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

maybee similar to nosler poly tips??
  10. terryu1

Well I tried facebook and called his shop and got voicemail. That is normal for him so I dropped him an email on his personal account so I should hear something in next day or two. I asked about all the concerns and the recipe for the 180 grn as you asked. I am not sure if he knows as he really does not need to reload as Hornady supplies him cases of anything he needs to practice.
  11. terryu1

Got my answer and bottom line is he does not know. Here it is

Hello Terry

Sorry I can't answer either of your
    Questions. Call the Hornady customer
    service, they'll be able to give you answers.

All good here. Still shooting. I closed
    The furniture store and started building
    Rifles. Best thing I ever did. Good
    hearing from you.

Sent from my iPhone

Regards,
    Carl
  12. JTofGPD

JTofGPD New Member

I totally missed the second question you posted. I use RCBS dies for the 30-30 without any issue with the tip. I recall seeing an insert specially made for the ftx bullets for the hornady dies... Cant recall where though.
  13. streetbob

streetbob Active Member

I load the Hornday 165 Gr. FTX rounds for my Marlin 336. I use the standard round nose seater plug and haven't had a problem. The powder Hornday uses is Hodgdon LeverEvolution powder. I currently use 29.3 Gr. IMR8208XBR with mine and I am getting 2400+- FPS out the barrel and can pack them in a inch at 100 yards.