Hornady 300 grain 44 mag XTP-HP w/ 2400

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by jacksonco, Oct 3, 2010.

1. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I have 100 Hornady 300 grain XTP/HP for 44 Rem. Mag on the way from Graff and Sons. I would like to work up some deer hunting loads for my Winchester 94 and Redhawk. I don't want full capacity loads. If I wanted to go that high on the power charts I would take my 45-70 Gov.

Does anyone use this size bullets? I will be using 2400 powder on my loads. Any suggestions?
  2. muddober

muddober Active Member

I have loaded 21 grains of 2400 behind that same bullet but it is pretty stout. I would suggest about 18 grains of 2400 and it should give you better than a 1000 FPS.

I would also suggest that you stick to 2400 and not try 296 or H110 as you will have to load full house loads to make them consistant. I have found 2400 to be just fine with less than maxs loads but not the other two.

Ron
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  3. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

My Hornady 7th edition says 16.1 grains of 2400 is MAX for rifle with the 300 grain xtp and 17.1 for pistol!
  4. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Active Member Supporting Member

And the Lee second edition says 14.4 start and 15.9 max. I would agree that 21 grains is stout!
  5. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I now have a good idea of where I will start my loads.
  6. Artemus

Artemus New Member

Don't load too many 300 grainers for the Winchester 94 until you test them for functioning.The loaded round may be too long for smooth operation.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I used to load the 300 grain XTPs. most accurate load I ever loaded was over 12.5 grains of bluedot. It good for about 800 fps from a 7.5 inch barrel and will bore clean through a feral pig. Its a somewhat of a mild load, A 300 grainer is gonna kick no matter how you cut the mustard. I traded my 300 grainers at 800 for a nice 240 grain cast at 950. Itll still penetrate the same thru a feral pig but dont quite kick as much from the ol SBH.
  8. muddober

muddober Active Member

If these new Conservative reloading manuals were around 30 years ago some of my friends and I would not have gotten anything done. Long before anybody made jacketed 300 grain .429 bullets we use buy 300 grain Hornady bullets designed for the then new 444 Marlin. We would run those larger bullets through a .429 lubersizer and shoot the hell out of them through model 29 Smiths. As I recall the only reason we did not put more than 21 grains of 2400 in them is that it would not fit in the case and still allow the bullet to be seated.

One needs to understand in the world we now live in with all of the product liability suits, coupled with some of the junk guns that are out there, it is no small wonder that anyone would print a reloading manual with anything but anemic loads.

I will tell you another load for a 45 Colt single action that you won't find in any reloading manual that I have shot hundreds of and that is 18 grains of 2400 behind a 250 grain cast bullet. A steady diet of that load will cause screws to come loose, the cylinder retaining pin to sometimes move forward and even shake off the extractor housing if not monitored but it will not blow up the gun. I am not suggesting anyone do that but because of those experiments we all built 45 Colt caliber Smiths from model 28 Highway Patrolman by adding a model 25 1955 target barrel and then re-chambering the 357 cylinders to 45 Colt. We all wound up with a pinned and recessed Smiths in 45 Colt that would out perform any 44 mag ever made.

Ron
  9. flintlock

flintlock Active Member

I used 20 grains of 2400 with the 300 grain bullet in my Redhawk, It was accurate and more than powerfull enough for Whitetail deer.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Most of the load suggestions I have read are overmax wrist breakers guys. Lets help the OP by providing info he has asked for...
  11. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Active Member Supporting Member

Being a relative newby to re-loading I stick to the manual as I am not that adventerous these days. The last batch of Hornady 300 gr XTP's I made I used 18.5 grains of H-110. I use H-110 in all my .44's and .50AE.
  12. muddober

muddober Active Member

JLA, with all due respect "over max" says who? Also I truly thought I was providing him a reduced load. Going from my load of 21 grains of 2400 to 18 grains was a step down for me. I also thought the reason to own a 44 mag was to shoot a 44 mag. Smith and Wesson makes a beautiful model 24 in 44 Special and it even looks like its big brother and it is far easier on the wrist.

It is kind of like my next door neighbor who is 82 years old and came home the other day with a new ZR1 Corvette($114,000.00 sticker). I dam near ran over her today on the freeway with my Suburban, she was in the fast lane in a 70 mile an hour zone doing about 35. Go figure...

Ron
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Thats the key to something lasting forever dont ya know. overbuilt for super high speeds and used regularly at moderate speeds...;)

For real though, I meant no offense to anyone. It is my opionion that Mr. jacksonco, based on reading his posts, is a seasoned shooter and a learned reloader. And is asking for information, based on the experiences of his fellow reloaders, using the Hornady 300 gr XTP at less than max pressures. I personally began with my .44 with the full intention of shooting howitzer powered ammo with both the 300 grain XTP and the sierra 300 gr Sports Master, and even tried the super heavy cast bulets from LBt and Oregon trail/Trueshot, but find, through field experience, that its much more powerful than it needs to be for most hunting tasks. I find 240 grains of lead at around 900 fps is all one needs in a .44 to kill most anything 2 legged or 4, and thats just about smack between .44 spec and mag levels, just about equal to the .45 colt with a 255 gr bullet, which In my opinion, taken outta context from Mr jacksonco's request above, is exactly what he's asking for. If I am off base I apologise to all;)...
  14. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Thanks for all of the responses guys. I asked for moderate loads because I do not need max pressure loads to down a whitetail. If I were in Alaska I would be loading up to near max levels just in case of a run in with one of them brown bears.

I learned a lesson loading my 45-70 up to max limits and they did not get along too well with my shoulder. Max power 45-70 in a Marlin Guide Gun are brutal. Now I keep them mid level and I shoot better for it.
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

right there with ya! I a recoil wiener.:D