Hornady 300 grain XTP .44 caliber bullets

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

AGunguy
    (1/7/02 7:35:27 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Hornady 300 grain XTP .44 caliber bullets
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OK, I've got an older Ruger .44 magnum deer rifle, semi-auto. I've got a Colt Anaconda in .44 magnum.

I would like to try out some ass kicken loads with the 300 grain Hornady XTP bullets for the Anaconda but don't want to make no hand grenades. Any suggestions or reference books or websites etc.

Gunguy

Edited by: AGunguy at: 1/7/02 8:46:36 pm

robsguns
    (1/7/02 11:51:37 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Hornady 300gr.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    300gr. bullet over 19.6gr. Hodgdon 110, c.o.l. 1.600", trim length 1.275",Winchester WLP primer, Hornady case. This comes from Hornady manual. This is a max load, I would not sweat it, I've really exceeded this load with my Super Redhawk, I'm still here.

AGunguy
    (1/8/02 8:40:37 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Hornady 300gr.
    Thanks, robsguns for the info. What was the velocity for that Hodgdon 110 load? I'm thinking of using some 2400 powder to get the speed up around to 1200 fps. With 300 grains that has some awsome foot pound energy figures. Bound to knock something down and stomp a mud hole in them. Wonder what happens to kevlar protective armour when hit by one of these beasties.

Gunguy

robsguns
    (1/8/02 11:43:59 pm)
    I never clocked it, its listed at 1250, but you know how that goes, depends on the gun, etc. Do you have a Ruger or Smith or what, cause I got a load for Rugers that is nice. It only works in Ruger Super Redhawks, because of the C.O.L., its awesome. I've been using it for years.

DarkStar11Redux
    (1/8/02 11:53:30 pm)
    Not meaning to butt in, but could you tell a greenhorn what C.O.L is?

AGunguy
    (1/9/02 12:30:14 am)
    Am I wrong saying O.L. = overall length, and the C probably stands for cylinder or cartridge...which would be in front of the O.L.

robsguns, I have a Colt Anaconda with six inch barrel, while it has pretty thick cylinder walls I don't really want to stress this gun too much. So, something in the 1,200 to 1,300 fps is about tops for me.

I'm gonna have to compute the foot pound energy figures of a 300 XTP bullet going that fast. Sounds like a runnaway freight train to me. Hee hee.

Welcome to the board DarkStar, hope you visit or reloading thread offten, and try our other threads too. Everyone is friendly here, we have farmers, cops, paramedics and hog sloppers and retired old farts like myself...if you have any questions lay them on us.

Gunguy

robsguns
    (1/9/02 5:36:38 pm)
    Yes, C.O.L. is case overall length. I wouldnt go beyond the book recomendations with your Colt, I dont know how much it will take, but as always, its up to the owner of the gun.