Hornady "9mm" HAP?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by rjdavin, Feb 18, 2011.

1. rjdavin

rjdavin New Member

I am a regular reloader of 9mm Luger ammo and I ordered some Hornady 121 grain HAP rounds. My question is, the diameter of the HAP is .356. It was labeled as 9mm, but actually not as 9mm, you well know is .355. Can I reload these rounds for my Beretta 92? Thank you for your time.
    Sincerely,
    Bob Davin
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Bob,
    I certainly do not see them plugging the barrel. I haven't used them before, so I can't speak for their performance. Just do the proper load development and you will be just fine.

Semper Fi and welcome to TFF !

Woolley
  3. rjdavin

rjdavin New Member

Thanks Woolley. I was thinking starting out at a modest 124 grain load and checking that out for performance. Thanks for your reply and your kind welcome.
    --Bob
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

thyell be fine. When i firelapped my CZ 75 I used .357s intended for a .38/.357 revolver. Theyll swage down and go on thru, and might even provide a better seal and better accuracy...
  5. noylj

noylj Member

Unless you have slugged your barrel, you have no idea what diameter bullet would be best. 9x19 barrels range from 0.3545" (rare) to 0.3595" (and some old military barrels are even larger).
    I find that even my .355" barrel shoot 0.357" bullets just dandy and, back in the '60s and '70s, it was quite common to do so as 9mm was not as popular as it is now and .355" bullets weren't that easy to find.
  6. askfig

askfig New Member

A great article about the HAP bullets by Patrick Sweeney in the Handguns magazine, October/November 2011 issue. He writes in "A HAP-pening Bullet" a very good review of the 9MM HAP bullet. May answer some questions.
    Also, I purchased some of the 125grain HAP 9mm and called Hornady to verify load data. I was told to follow the 124gr XTP data and will be fine.
    Just FYI