Hornady ammo

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by lonewolf204, Sep 4, 2012.

1. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Active Member

What is the popular opinion on the Hornady steel match ammo? I have noticed they are cheaper than the hornady ammo with brass cases.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  2. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

I haven't shot any myself...

But I have heard it's like a lot of steel cased ammo, some guns like it while other hate it. I have heard it's a bit more accurate than the chinese or russian steel cased stuff though.

My son in law tried some in his Ruger piston AR and he had the same problems as he did with Tula and Wolf steel cased. Worked the first mag or two then they were failing to extract and he had to use a cleaning rod down the barrel to knock them out.

My LMT AR cycles steel cased ammo without a problem so I might give some a shot someday.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
  4. lonewolf204

I guess there are only three of us interested in hornady's steel match ammo! I have a 100 rounds coming in today so maybe this weekend I will know more about them.
  5. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I bought the steel case ammo from Hornady in the .223 rem caliber and have not had not a complaint with it!!!
    I was shooting brass and for alot cheaper, like you said, why not try it?
    Shoots just as good, well the same actually... and I've shot the .223's in both, my AR and two other Savage bolt action rifles I own.
    IMO, not a thing wrong with it, other than you cant reload it.
    Two thumbs up here!
  6. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

...what I've bought, I've bought in the 50rd boxes.
  7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

When I'm looking for the good stuff, Hornady is one of the names

which always comes to mind. Never bought a sub-premium quality

product from them...
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I don't buy a lot of ammo, mostly reload, but Hornady is what I buy in pistol ammo. Don't know any thing about their rifle stuff, but is should be good quality ammo.
  9. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I would use steel ammo in ANY of my RUSSIAN or EASTERN bloc surplus rifles...I LOVE the cheapest x39 steel stuff for my SKS...

But I am still leery of putting any through my AR or any of my "good" rifles, although I confess to having a few boxes of cheap steel .223 put back for either trade or shooting in case the SHTF.

But as for Hornady ammo, I picked up a 50 round box of Hornady brass .223 with 52 gr match hollowpoints for $28 at a shop near Ft. Wayne the week before I left for South Dakota, and after I told my buddies they made me rearrange my schedule and go BACK to the shop and buy them each a box and bring them with me....

They both own sweet custom .223 varmint rifles, and they both said at that price if it holds they would consider quitting reloading for them!

It is SWEET stuff, and the guy had a ton of it, I will probably stock up with a bunch more before he raises the price....

BTW, they had the same stuff except in 55gr fmj at Cabela's in Mitchell, SD when we stopped there for $5 more....
  10. lonewolf204

I finally got some range time today and tried the Hornaday steel match ammo in 52 grain HP. It shot very well with no feed problems and 1" groups @ 100 yards.