Hornady brass 44 Mag

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by jim 44-40, Jan 14, 2012.

1. jim 44-40

jim 44-40 New Member

Hello to all,new kid here. Have a ?? for you guys.I have a box of Hornady brass for my 44 Mag, 180gr XTP. Shot them in a ruger redhawk now I went to size them and found out they are only 1.150'' in length. That is 44 Special trim length right? They should be at 1.275'' Whats the story??? thanks for any info
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Yup, that's .44Spcl length.
    Were these new brass or used?
    If new, that's a boo-boo from the factory.
    If used, then I'd bet someone needed .44Spcl brass (for a CharterArms bulldog or some other .44Spcl-only revolver) and trimmed them to length.
    .44Spcl is one of those hard to find cases, most companies do limited runs of them since sales are fairly low compared to .44Mag. I'd bet the guy couldn't find Spcl brass so he trimmed down some Mag brass instead.

They're just fine to use for Spcl power loads. If they'd be mine, I'd mark the head with a Sharpie marker or something to distinguish them...at least keep them segregated frmo any Mag brass so you don't have to deal with them mixed in with mag brass when you're reloading them.
  3. jim 44-40

jim 44-40 New Member

yes sir, they are from a box of new 44mag rounds.picked up some new Rem brass and they are 1.280'' out of the bag.thanks for the advice.
  4. 218bee

218bee Member

IF....They had 44 Mag loads in them, they would have been some HOT LOADED ammo. .....shorter case more pressure........Don in SC
  5. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

What does the bottom of the case say? That should tell what they entended to load.
  6. jim 44-40

jim 44-40 New Member

The headstamp is 44 Mag.I emailed Hornady about Lot# 3100546 for a answer.No harm done , but ''I gots to know man''
  7. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Isn't it obvious?

It's for the new .44 HSM. :p :D
  8. Orin

Orin Member

Kinda scary that the factory would put out cases marked .44mag & not stick to the specs, if that's what happened.
  9. oldgunfan

oldgunfan Member

That's why it's all ways a good idea to measure new brass. about 5or6 yrs ago I got 500 new Winchester 45acp brass over 200 of them were below min trim length, so now I only buy starline and have never had a problem, but I still measure them.
  10. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

I was going to suggest that maybe the brass was originally loaded with Hornady's new FTX bullets. The brass is shorter than normal due to the ogive. But the trim length for those bullets are at 1.255" Still longer than the ones you have at 1.15".
  11. jim 44-40

jim 44-40 New Member

I talked to Hornady on the phone, they want me to send the empty brass to them too check it out. Sounds like it might have been trimmed down for the FTX round. But I was not shooting that bullet. Mine where 180 XTP. Let you know what happens.
  12. Orin

Orin Member

The recent Handloader magazine has an interesting article re the making of brass cases. Ya mite wanna look it up, if they offer online viewing or if a bud gets the mag.
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Hornady does trim their brass short for the FTX bullets. Maybe they F'ed up and loaded some with the XTPs and shipped them
  14. The Duke

The Duke New Member

:yeahthat: And their .45-70 Lever Revolution ammo with the soft plastic tip...Supposedly so they can get the right length for the 325 grain pointy bullet...
  15. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

That's a good thought John. I don't use it so I never considered that they might've used some of their FTX cases for some "regular" ammo.

Will be interesting to see what Hornady comes up with for an answer. I've always had good luck with their customer service so I'd bet they find out the problem.