Hornady Brass

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by The Duke, Oct 21, 2011.

1. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Anyone had short brass from Hornady???

Ive discovered the Hornady .45-70 brass is short...too short to crimp correctly.....It was explained to me that the shortend case was to allow for the 325 gr flex tip bullet.....I dunno..:confused:

Today I ran across some Hornady .45C that was much shorter than any of my 'diverse' bag of .45C brass...I noticed it when the crimp wasnt in the crimping groove, so I culled the bullets and sorted my empties..I hate to chunk once fired brass, but if its too short to crimp right, it doesn't do me any good to keep it...Fortunately only 6 of 400+ were Hornady..

[​IMG]

The three cases in the middle are Hornady while the ones on the ends are WW or RP...I forget, but all once fired...

Winchester
    [​IMG]

Hornady
    [​IMG]
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yep. i bought a box of lever evolution that had short brass. It still reloads fine but your dies will have to be adjusted down to apply the crimp. And it doesnt work with the LEE factory crimp die. too short.
  3. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Have had the same thing happen. Adjust your dies and start with the minimum charge weight and watch for pressure signs.
  4. bubbadad

bubbadad New Member

the leverlotion brass is made shorter because of the longer bullets used.i believe it is .7 " shorter to compensate.
  5. MarlinSBL

MarlinSBL New Member

Hey guys,

I have discovered a way to crimp Hornady Levereveloution brass with the Lee Crimp Die:

Get your crimp die and unscrew the bullet seat and remove it, now take your loaded/seated ammo and stick it in the crimp die the way it would go in if you had it in the press, (you will notice you cant push it all the way in because of the crimp ring). Now screw the crimp die up from underneath in your press with the primer side facing the sky just in a couple of turns, enough to hold it. Now take you sizing die and screw it in the top of your press until it touches the case, all you have to do now is crank on the sizing die, it will push the case without touching the primer, keep turning until you get the desired crimp. I found that with once fired brass I have to turn the sizing die as hard as I can by hand to get a really good crimp.

Cheers, Ben
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  6. Easyshooter

Easyshooter New Member