The Firearms Forum banner

Hornady Bullet Feeder Die questions

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  gregj 
#1 ·
I've been thinking about adding a bullet feeder to my LNL, already have the case feeder, all set up for 45ACP. But I have a few questions:

- I have the EGW-U die and the Powder Funnel powder through expander. I have tried the Hornady powder through expander, but it adds a significant amount of resistence, so I switched back to the Powder Funnel. I have read the Hornady bullet feeder die will only work with the Hornady powder through expander. Is this true?

- Preferences on the bullet collator, and why? Hornady or Mr. Bullet.

- Until I get the bullet collator, anyone drop bullets into the feeder by hand?

#2 ·
...I have read the Hornady bullet feeder die will only work with the Hornady powder through expander. Is this true?...
Yes and no. It does not require the Powder Through Expander (PTX) specifically but you need to free up a station for the bullet feeder. The only practical way to free up a station is to eliminate the expanding position and combine it with powder drop by PTX.

Ideally you need a 6 station progressive, not sure if anyone makes one.

#3 ·
(All this for 9mm, but that shouldn't matter much)
Any PTX will be fine, I use the universal Powderfunnels one. If I remember correct the Hornady ptx also expands the case below the bell which may cause the resistance.
The Universal ptx only bells, the rest of the case is expanded when pushing in the bullet. (I only use FMJ or heavy plated)

I don't use a bullet collator but preload some 1 yard PVC pipes which I place in the feeder while reloading since I don't have electricity in my shed.
Without an extension you can only drop in 4 to 6 bullets in the feeder, add a foot of pipe and it will hold a lot more.​

#5 ·
Thanks for the info!! I currently seat and crimp in #4 and #5, with an RCBS lockout in #3. So yes, I obviously will have to free up #4 for the bullet feeder and go back to seat & crimp in same die. I load Zero 230gr jacket bullets, so that isnt an issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.