Hornady Bullet feeder dies.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by trukpulr, Nov 26, 2013.

1. trukpulr

trukpulr New Member

I just got a Hornady 9mm bullet feeder die and I can't get it to feed a bullet every time. I set it up like the video says so it rattles with about 1/8" of play.
    OK No bullet
    I've tried to expand the mouth a little more but then the case comes out with a deformed mouth and still no bullets.

Am I one of the lucky people that gets one that just don't work or is there something I'm over looking.

Dan
  2. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Are you talking about the hornady ammo plant?
  3. trukpulr

trukpulr New Member

Well I guess so .. I have a LNL with the case feeder and bullet feeder but like I said I'm having problem with the feeder die not dropping a bullet.
  4. trukpulr

trukpulr New Member

I spent some time last night watching your informational video's. You do a good job. Thanks
  5. salvageer

salvageer Member

Maybe I can help pm me, I have some experienece with the bullet feeder and the die
  6. CBirnley

CBirnley Member

I'm in the same boat with my 40 Cal die. I either get none or I get 17. I will honestly say this has been the biggest disappointment in my Hornady experience. Now I am noticing that the slide for my primers has a nick on the bottom of it and is hanging up.

It could quite possibly be operator error but it's frustrating none the last.
  7. trukpulr

trukpulr New Member

Oh Ya I had my Primer feed hang up on me twice now and it broke the wheel off both times. Lucky for me I have spare parts I tend to order two of everything on the smaller parts list when I order.

Here's one more problem I'm having with my 9mm shell plate. I have one slot that doesn't line up with the primer feed and I get the primer half cocked in the brass. I have it Marked now so I make sure I move the plate to get the primer in But I know there's gotta be a reason for it not too line up on just that one slot the other four slots are not having this problem so what should I be looking for.
    I tried too bring the Dogs out a little which helped the other four but if I bring them out any more then they get jammed up.

Dan
  8. trukpulr

trukpulr New Member

salvageer I tried to send you an email but the message board says I don't have enough posts yet to contact members privately.

Dan
  9. CBirnley

CBirnley Member

I would be interested in any ideas to help address the sub-par performance of the bullet feeder. Thank you trukpulr for your insight.
  10. salvageer

salvageer Member

The way the shell plates are made they have to line up at all stations. The only reason they would not is if the shellplate was manufactured out of spec. And if that we're the case it would affect both downward stroke and upward. It would not line up at the top into the dies as well as lining up to the primer pocket or shell case feeder at bottom stroke. The problem is most likely the pawl adjustment. Look up under the turrent and watch the operation of the pawls against the pawl gear. The left hand pawl only touches the gear on the down stroke while the right pawl touches nothing. The right hand pawl touches the pawl gear on the upstroke while the left hand pawl touches nothing. So if there is a problem lining up to the primer pocket it is because the left hand pawl is out of adjustment. If there is a problem with the shell plate not lining up on the dies in the upstroke then the right hand pawl needs adjusting.
    If you haven't read this Hornady pdf it is very informative http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/manuals-current/metalic-reloading/LNL_AP.pdf

I have had lot's of problems getting my press to operate the way it was intended. I got so disgusted with it I had to let it set for several months. Which may have been a good thing. I acquired some patience and knowledge and started back again with more understanding I realized many of the problems I was having had more to do with me not following instructions to the T. highboys video was a huge help also and after watching and applying his advise I had a renewed interest. Taking my laptop with me to the press and watching the Hornady video cd sent with my press in start stop motion helped me a lot too.
  11. salvageer

salvageer Member

As for the bullet feeder problems. Take the bullet feed die out of the press. Graba hand full of bullets and brass. Go set down at a comfortable counter top or table, desk etc. where you have some entertainment, family to talk to etc. so you can take a short break from the die when you get frustrated. Take your time. Have fun with it. Take pictures of it etc.
    Take the die apart, and look at the pieces carefully. Drop a bullet through each part and observe what the function of the part is. Try to imagine what is happening inside that die each time it feeds a bullet. You will noticed the short collet has no resistance outside the die case and the bullet falls through. Yet the longer collet catches and holds the bullet until you take a brass and lightly push it into the end of the collet. Take a credit card and slide it into the finger slots of the collets, this is a good way to determine if the fingers have been tightened too much causing them to collapse. Examine each piece for burrs or anything else that seems out of order. Put all the pieces back together making sure you have them properly installed. THEY CAN BE PUT IN UPSIDE DOWN AND IN WRONG ORDER !! The fingers always go down and the long collet goes in first. Tighten the adjustment down until you can barely feel it hitting the collet. Drop in some bullets and push an empty brass case up into the die. Keep adjusting until you get it to function correctly. It only takes a firm yet light push into the die to release one bullet at a time. Test it a bunch of times by hand while imagining what is going on inside the die. When you feel confident loosen the locknut on the die and unscrew it out of the lnl quick change bushing enough to know it will not touch when the press is in the up position. Now put the press in the up position, install the bushing and screw the die down until it barely touches the press, put an empty sized expanded brass case in the press and test it out. If it works great. Test out some more just to make sure. If not then you know it worked outside the press when you worked it by hand so the problem has to be in the adjustment into the locking bushing. Back it out a little at a time until it works.
    If it still doesn't work double check everything just in case there was user error. And if it still doesn't work Slow down reread the tech sheets and rewatch the videos and all the pertinent info from Hornady and highboy and any other info you can find on youtube etc.
    Remember the bullet feeder was not intended for use with lead bullets, only jacketed bullets are recommended.
    One more thing make sure the shell plate is tight, a loose shell plate has caused lots of problems for me and others. Make sure you have a locknut installed per highboys recommendation.
    And of course make sure your using the right shell plate :)
  12. salvageer

salvageer Member

I was having problems with the ez eject while loading 45acp. It would work maybe half the time at best. My problem was using the wrong shell plate. I was looking at old data. In the old data sheet the number 1 shell plate was recommended. which caused the problems for many reloaders. So they produced a number 45 shell plate just for the 45acp. Not only does the shell plate allow for easy eject but it indexes much better too.
    But you guys probably already knew that :) Lesson learned for me. Always try to get the latest info when doing anything related to reloading or any other project as far as that goes.
  13. salvageer

salvageer Member

If anyone is having problems with the automatic case feeder throwing shells out on the floor just use a piece of cardboard to narrow up the ejection port opening as shown at
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syz6MOrRvko

I use one of the instruction sheets out of a die box.
  14. salvageer

salvageer Member

I may have mentioned this before but thought I'd insert again with the new user problems lately.
    For those using the Horandy bullet feeder. If by chance it takes a long time to load the bullets into the tube because most of the bullets just dump over the end without being loaded. Hornady QC was out to lunch on some of the feeders and clocked the feed tube incorrectly. Such as the one I bought. It can be sent back to Hornady for a fix or you can do as I did and take the feeder apart and reclock the tube from the 1 o-clock position to the 11 0-clock position.
  15. trukpulr

trukpulr New Member

OK I had it with my Bullet Feeder die set up .. Not dropping a bullet ever time so I pulled it off the press and put it in the corner .. this way I know I have to grab a bullet and put it on the shell myself it's actually faster then the bullet feeder set up.

Anyone looking for one contact me ....

Dan
  16. techiej

techiej New Member

It can take a while to set up but once it is running right you can really get productive. I'm using mine for both 9 & 45 and my only complaint is that the collator is so noisy that I turn it off after the tube is full and then on again when needed to refill the tube.

FYI -- when I had initial problems with my 9mm die I called Hornady and after going over everything they sent me a replacement die (complete) which solved the problem.
  17. salvageer

salvageer Member

That's the way I do it too. Shut it off when the tube is full and turn it back on when it is low. I've heard of people using some sound deadening material around and on the bottom of the hopper and even making a cover for it to deaden the sound. I may do that some day when I have time. For now I'll just put up with it. I've gotten used to it, doesn't bother me too bad.
    trukpulr don't give up, if you have done all you can do as techie did call Hornady, it is possible you got a bad die. Hornady does make some good products but they are fallible just as every company is as I stated before I had to take my feeder hopper apart and reclock the tube. If you search the forums you'll find problems with dillons too.