hornady critical defense ammo

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by ryan42, Mar 4, 2012.

1. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

This ammo has a silver case,does that mean these are steel cases?What is anybodys opinion on using this as there personal defense carry ammo?And my next question what are your thoughts on carrying reloads in you carry gun for personal protection?
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    It's not steel, it's just nickled brass. As for as I'm concerned it's the cat's meow, and I use it in all my SD weapons. I never carry reloads in my SD weapons. Not because they may not work, but because I don't want to give the D.A. anything he may use against me. At home reloads are fine in a SD weapon, but for me, not on the streets. Most of my reloads are Hornady XTP, the same bullet you can buy in the box from the factory, but I just don't feel comfortable with my reloads in my SD weapons.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  3. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

For me, I use Hornady Critical Defense ammo in my carry firearms. However, in my house guns, anything goes including handloads.
  4. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You summed that up pretty good for me.
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I do use the Hornady Critical Defense ammo in the pistol I carry the most, my Sig P238. When I carry my LCR, I really have no problem having reloads in it. I have heard the arguments about - if you have to shoot someone, how a prosecutor can tell the jury about how you loaded up some super bullet to make sure the person was dead, or some such crap. My thought is WHO CARES, you are alive and he is not!
  6. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

Best I understood it (a few years ago), reloads or handloads are not allowed for self-defense use here in Kansas. Does not make sense to me but I'm nobody. So my carry (and so far un-used for defense) ammo is pretty much the only factory ammo I buy. I have heard good things about Hornady Critical Defense but have not tried any to see what it does. I carry Ranger XST T-series, the 6 petal. Have shot quite afew things with it to get an idea of performance and I like it. 2x4s, wallboard, milk jugs, trees, phone books, etc., etc. There are afew brand/loads that I did not like the results tho. My father-in-law swears by the Hornady but has never touched one off, just goes by what he has been told. I prefer to see for myself. Whatever ammo you choose to trust your life on, make sure you actually shoot enough of it to KNOW that it will function correctly in your firearm and KNOW where it shoots. If it is ever needed, it's the wrong time to find out that it don't work for you.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    God forbid that any of us ever have to shoot another person. When a shooting is examined, and it might be, one of the things they will be looking at is the distance you were form the BG. You have told the LEO how far away you were, so now they want to look at powder residue to really dertermine the distance. The first thing they are going to find is that you used TITEGROUP powder, if that's what you use, and they now know that this is a hand loaded bullet. Again, if they do check your story they will have your gun, and the ammo in it, this will again tell them that you were using hand loaded ammo. Now, if the DA is a butt then he might tell the jury that you make your own bullets, that are much deadler, and more accurate, than anything bought off the shelf, making you look like you were just waiting for the chance to shoot someone. As far as I know this has never happened, but you never know when it might! If you do tragically get into a situation where you have to defend yourself, why have that, even as a remote possibility, being ruled a possible motive.
  8. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

that sums it up for me too.I always carry critical defense and thats what ill continue to do.thanks Carver must be a phsycic I only use tightgroup.:)
  9. armoredman

armoredman New Member

I believe Massad Ayoob stated it was used once and put a good guy behind bars, among other evidence. I choose to use factory for carry. I have handloaded SD ammo for "serious bad times" ammo.
  10. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
  11. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I saw a show on tv with ayoob I think it was personal defense he was talking about using reloads for carry weapons.Ive always carried critical defense but I didnt know about the reloads,but like the ARMORED MAN inferred to if shtf it probably wouldnt matter.
  12. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

I read those accounts by Ayoob, and the biggest issue wasn't that the reloads were more powerful or more deadly, it's the fact they may be inconsistent with thier loadings as compared to store bought ammunition, so the defense or prosecution has no real way of duplicating the event to prove innocense or guilt on the defendant.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  13. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    Agreed...but why complicate matters if you ever go to court?
  14. jce07a

jce07a New Member

if it is a true case of self defense then the DA isnt even going to press charges. and if the DA is enough of a jerk to do so then a good defense attorney will be able to help you out. im glad i have a room mate who knows all sorts of stuff about guns and is going to be a defense attorney so on the off chance that i ever end up having to defend myself i can hire him or someone in his firm and be confident that they know what is going on if i were to mention carrying my own load. (even though i dont, i carry critical defense)
  15. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Agreed. Speaking for myself, I always shoot plenty of what I carry. ;)