Hornady handgun ammo

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by RunningOnMT, Jun 1, 2012.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I realize that we have an ammunition and reloading forum, but it seems like that is mostly read by reloaders and I wanted to get replies from those who don't reload as well, and since my question is about manufactured ammo, decided to post it here. Please move it if that's a problem.

Can anyone explain the difference between Hornady XTP JHP, Hornady XTP Critical Defense, and Hornady TAP FPD ammo?

Also, I'd be interested in any data pertaining to the relative effectiveness of Remington Golden Saber, Federal Hydra-Shok, and the Hornady ammo listed above.
  2. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Can no one explain this?
  3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

4. jeffadaklin

jeffadaklin New Member

THere's really no short way to do it. Mostly it has to do with how the bullets are made, and how that makes each bullet more effective in certain situations. If it's important to know the details, I would go to each company's website and they describe each round. Critical Duty from Hornady is the hottest new load, it passed all the criteria for the FBI penetration tests, and is the first round to ever do that I think. Never priced it, but it's sposed to be the bomb for self-defense. But imho, any of the SD rounds you mentioned are good for the purpose.
  5. jce07a

jce07a New Member

i just posed the question to a buddy of mine who used to deal alot in firearms and ammunition sales. critical defense is a hollow point with a hard ball center. the XTP is just a basic hollow point and the TAP is a hotter version of the XTP. thats about as basic as he put it for me. sorry i cant be much more detailed for you. i personally carry critical defense in my glock 23. it is a devastating round and i havent seen it over penetrate on anything ive had to use it on...which has been pretty much only cattle, a snake, and unfortunately, a dog. all of which were at point blank or very close range
  6. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

OK, Thank you jce, that's exactly what I wanted to know.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    The Critical Defence round was developed from the "Lever Revelotion" round when Hornaday discovered that it kept the hollow point from clogging up. The XTP line of bullets are just hollow points, but they have been engineered to expand at a wide varity of speeds. They work well, and are used as hunting bullets, as well as SD bullets. The tap is just a hotter version of the standard XTP. Remington Golden Saber are listed as +P rounds, and they are lighter than standard rounds, 180grs for .45ACP. Federal Hydra-Shoks come on .230grs, and in 165grs. Police favor the Golden Saber, and the Hydro-Shoks. Hornady's newest load is the Critical Duty load. It is simular to the Critical Defense load in that it has the rubber plug in the hollow point, but it is engineered to retain it's weight in most material. Hope this helps some. I would carry any of the ammo you are asking about.
  8. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Yes it does. Thank you Carver.
  9. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I can...it is to further confuse you so you end up buying all three boxes...it is their marketing plan!!
  10. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Now to muddy things up a bit. I knew I had a box of .45 cal Remington Golden Sabers but I didn't think I had ever bought +p ammo before. So I checked and it is 230 gr std velocity. So I went to Cheaper than dirt and checked. The Golden Sabers come in 185 and 230 gr each in both +p and std velocity.

Another curious thing is that everyone says the Hornady TAP-FPD round is hotter that standard XTP ammo but I checked the one box of 9mm TAP ammo that I have on hand and compared it to XTP. Both are 124 gr, and both are rated at a muzzle velocity of 1110 fps. So there must be some difference other than that they are a hotter round.

3/2 STA is right. Between XTP, Critical Defense, Critical Duty, TAP-FPD, and Zombie Max, Hornady most certainly has me confused...almost as many as there are varieties of Diet Pepsi.