Hornady Lever Revolution for .30/30

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by bones1918, Jan 13, 2010.

1. bones1918

bones1918 New Member

All this .30/30 talk has me wondering if anybody shoots with the Hornady Lever Revolutions. I bought a box and shot them, grouped high and right (2.5+ high, 1 or 2 right) out of my marlin 336 that is sighted-in for remmy core lokt 0 at 100 yds.

Its a great looking bullet with the spitzer tip, and im sure it will add another 50 yards of accuracy if i sight in for them. But, has anyone actually put one into a deer? how do they mushroom? My gun has killed every deer that its ever shot at, but i don't think ive taken a shot longer than about 80 yards.
  2. Halwg

Halwg New Member

Actually it's LeverEvolution (LE). I shot it in my 1976 Marlin and it's just so-so. I handloaded the 160 gr FTX (that's the bullet used in the LE ammo) and got better groups but not the velocity of the Hornady ammo.

I killed a deer with the 200 gr LE ammo out of my 35 Remington. Based on that performance it did a good job. Some folks say they expand too violently and cause a lot of meat damage at short ranges. The deer I shot was 85 yards, and I didn't have that problem.
  3. bones1918

bones1918 New Member

I'm just interested in trying to squeak out another 40 yards or so of accuracy out of my .30/30. The farm I hunt is surrounded by thoroughbred enthusiasts so I'm really hesitant to go out there with a rifle that will throw lead a mile or two.. not that I'd ever take a risky shot...

Did your handloaded ftx rounds deliver any more accuracy off the bench at around 150 yards?
  4. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

My buddy and i both have 45-70's and quickly moved towards the lever-evolution. The shot awesome at the range. Last year he made a bad shot on this deer but look at the pic. The deer dropped instantly. The bullet truely is amazing.

Attached Files:

5. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    WOW! That 45-70 sure leaves a big hole! I have used them in my Marlin 336 in .35REM. They seem to shoot well at the range and although I haven't killed a deer with them my brother did when he borrowed my rifle. He shot a deer at about 150 yards with the LE ammo and didn't holdover at all. I think you would be able to get the extra range ya want with them.
  6. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I get .64moa at 300 yards using them. Here is the last 3 shots I've fired from that rifle at 300 yards.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6GsJPwMMN8

I've never loaded flat nosed or round nosed bullets in that rifle, so I don't have that data to compare.
  7. willieb1989

willieb1989 New Member

I was wondering if anyone knows whats different about the Hornady Lever Revolutions campared to say a box of winchester. And what different you have to do to the reloading the lever revolution.
  8. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I have only loaded my own Hornady FTX bullets, I've never used their loaded ammunition. On the other hand,I've only used Winchester loaded ammunition. I have used Winchester 170gr Power Points at targets and they shoot well. I have hit with them on a 8 x 12" steel target with iron sights, at 300 yards more times than not.

The FTX bullet has a better ballistic coefficient, therefore it will cut the wind better, retain velocity at distance better while in turn, retain energy further.

I can't tell you about terminal ballistics since I haven't hunted with them yet.

The only problem I have loading them is my Lee bullet seating die will not seat the bullet to the cannelure. That is using the FTX bullet designed for the Winchester; I've noticed the other 30 cal FTX designed for the Marlin, is longer forward of the cannelure, so they would work better in my die. It is up in the air whether they then would work in my Winchester.
    But use a spent primer inside my die to give me that extra length I need to seat it sufficiently.

Hope that helps.
  9. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has noticed the severe climb when you use a rifle that's sighted zero at 100 yds. I never got tne chance to use them on deer either because I didn't want to adjust my scope, I too use core-lokt bullets that I loaded. I am tempted though since they have become available for reloading. I've seen scopes advertised for that specific round but with my eyesight going the way it is, I need something with a bit more power to it:(.