Hornady Light Magnum Recipe

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

whoabill
    (2/14/03 2:43:24 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Hornady Light Magnum Recipe
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey

I have been using factory remington and winchester ammo since I have been old enought to shoot. Saw Hornady's Light magnum ammo on the web and curious if anyone out there uses it. If so does anyone have the recipe. The ballistics that Hornady posts are impressive. Does anyone have info that they are legitimate?

thanks
    whoabill

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/14/03 4:12:48 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Hornady Light Magnum Recipe
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yessir -

I can personally vouch that the Hornady Light Magnums live up to their hype in flying colors. Bought some of their 30-06 stuff with 180 gr bullets. Was extremely hard pressed to come up to their velocities and accuracy with my own expert (ahem!) handloads. I've got to hand it to them - they have done a fine job in producing these loads.

The powder they use is priority powder, so there's no way to know exactly what it is. Rick Jamison, the gun writer, took one apart when they first came out and found the stuff so tightly packed into the case he surmised it must have been literally liquid poured into the brass. No matter what he tried, he couldn't get all of it back into the case afterwards.

Try them, I think you'll like them!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

frostyduck
    (2/15/03 4:16:03 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del light mags
    Think 'Kd' is on the money on this one. Don't think we can hand roll these.....yet! But they are good rounds, have used them in .243 and .06......fast, GOOD bullets, premium ammo. Kind of think that sometimes it's worth the extra money for this kind of -security- when the right target (game) is in the sight picture. Probably the point of the issue is that as handloaders, we prompted the manufacturers to up the ante. And of course, technology keeps marching on.
  2. mariodave

mariodave New Member

Has anyone came close to duplicating the Hornady light magnum load in 30-06 with a 165 gr. bullet or 270 win with 130 0r 140 gr bullet? How about the 30-30 Lever evolution 160 gr. load.
    The Nosler reloading guide fifth edition has a load for 30-06 165 gr. that calls for 63 grains of Reloader 22 for a muzzle velocity of 3002 fps.105% case capacity compressed load.
    Looks like Hornady has figured out how to cram a large amount of slow burning powder into a small case in all three above examples.Any Ideas?
  3. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I asked about this months ago see link
    http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=52865

The answer is no. Hornady uses blended powders that are not avaliable to us reloaders. I purchased some 8 years ago and wish i had purchased more at the time. The ammo in 165gr 308 sst is not avaliable anymore. However it still is in 3006. If it works good for you buy as much as you can. I get 3069 fps with great accuracy. Do not try to duplicate these loads, it would be EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!!!!!