Hornady LNL priming problem

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by springerbuster, Oct 17, 2009.

1. springerbuster

springerbuster New Member

I have a priming problem with my Hornady LNL press. When seating a primer it doesn't seem to be lined up perfectly, as you can hear and feel a crunching sound as you seat the primer. The quick answer would be the pawl adjustment but I don't think this is the problem. Correct me if I am wrong but the pawl adjustment is to make the detent balls on the bottom of the shellplate line up with the holes in the press for proper alignment.
    This seems to be working correctly. When you cycle the press the detent balls are landing in the holes where they are supposed to, but the pin that seats the primer does not line up perfectly with the primer pocket. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. gary0529

gary0529 Member

Springer,

Have pushed thru well over 10k with my LnL and the only problem with primers have been related to crud that has accumulated in the primer seater.
    What I do is simply unscrew the seater and hit it with a blast of brake cleaner or compressed air while pushing on the spring detent to dislodge any debris.
    While you are at it also check to be sure that the raceway for the primer assy. is also clean or you will find that the primers will not be forward enough to have an unencumbered path to the case and then you could get the crunch you described.
    The more you crunch- the more crap gets dislodged and the more problems you have.
    Keep things clean, use NO lube other than perhaps a bit of graphite powder or motor mica in the raceway.
    Works for me.

Write if you still have problems.

Gary
  3. tEN wOLVES

tEN wOLVES New Member

Like Gary said, But I also added a primer follower made of brass, the added weight gives you better push down than the plastic one the press comes with, I red flagged mine so when it's getting close to empty I'll know it, here's mine.

Regards

tEN wOLVES

Attached Files:

4. ddmk6

ddmk6 New Member

Hello,

I wondering if the OP has cured the problem and how he did it??

I purchased a LNL a couple weeks ago. I am having the same problem with primer feeding. This is my first progressive so I really don't know what to expect. I have it set up for .223. When it gets to the priming stage the case will lean and seating the primer takes quite a bit of force if it will go in at all. If I actually hold the case vertical and all the way back against the shell plate it will seat the primer but still takes more effort than it should. I am questioning the shell plate. If I tighten down the center bolt more than finger tight it hangs up in one spot of the rotation.

Like I said I am new to this so I don't know what is right or wrong, or what to look for.

If anyone has suggestions I'm all ears. Thanks
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  5. gary0529

gary0529 Member

My first thought with 223's is: are they military cases and do they have a crimp?
    If so, fix is simple. Either pitch the cases or ream the primer pocket with the appropriate tool to remove the crimp.

If not crimped, I am a bit puzzled in that the case should be standing quite straight if the spring band is not boofooed and you have the correct shell plate AND it is tight. You may have a loose center bolt and introduced some play in the plate/base configuration.

If not, check the primer seater and raceway for crud.

Gary
  6. ddmk6

ddmk6 New Member

Thanks for your ideas Gary.

Thanks again
  7. springerbuster

springerbuster New Member

DDMK6, Since I posted this thread the one thing that helped more than anything else was I took the primer slide out and polished the bottom of it. Then I put powdered graphite on the area between the slide and the press. I polished the slide with some 400 grit sandpaper. How I figured out what was happening was when the end of my primer slide broke off, I realized that the slide was not quite going all the way closed so the primer seat was catching on the front part of the hole in the primer slide. Once I polished the slide (the new one that Hornady sent me) this problem went away. Every few hundred rounds or so I blow out the area to get any debris out and then put on more graphite. This has totally solved my problem. I might add that I also discovered my press does not like S&B brass. I loaded a few thousand rounds of 9mm with mixed brands of brass. I had no problems with any of them except the S&B. I could tell when I would come to one of them by the way that the primers seated. Some of them would not seat at all. I have since taken out all of the S&B and don't plan on even trying to load them.
  8. ddmk6

ddmk6 New Member

Thank you Springerbuster.

I was poking around yesterday checking things out and found exactly what you described. I have not broken the end off the slide yet but it would just be a matter time. It was chewed up on the end where the anvil was digging in. I am going to remove it today and stone it down. May even try some lapping compound to really smooth it up. I will try the graphite powder as well.

I appreciate you guys helping me out with this. I am going to put a call in to Hornady today. I'll recommend they do a little extra QC in this area. I am a little disappointed, paying that much money then having to try and make it work.

I also noted it seems to make a difference how the primer tube assembly is tightened down. After removing the assembly to check the slide, I started having hang up issues after reassembling. I loosened up the cap screw slightly and the hang up problem went away. Hornady has a little more work to do to make this a really nice system.

I am also having issues with the shell plate that I bought. It kind of hangs up in one spot in the rotation. The timing does not seem to be quite right either. I adjusted one of the pawls and rotation seems to be better. One of the detent balls on the shell plate does not protrude. This makes it virtually useless. I will return it this week. At least I will know what to look for now.

Thanks again
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2010