Hornady Lock 'n' Load

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by bizy, Sep 30, 2009.

1. bizy

bizy New Member

On the Hornady Lock 'N' Load, the new model, I have a problem with the ejector hanging up instead of ejecting and the primer not priming every time.

Any ideas??:(
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Where is the decapping pin "hanging up" at? when it's already pushed the primer out, or before that? Does it do this every time or at random times?

When the primer doesn't prime; are you referring to it not feeding a primer or is it mis-seating the primer ( crooked, not deep enough, upside down)

The first thought that pops into my head is set-up issue, if this problem were happening to me, I would take the components completely off, verify proper timing, inspect parts and then re-assemble and adjust.

Pics of the set-up would be nice too, not sure if you posted any or not when you bought it.

Hope you can figure it out, I know how frustrating it can be sometimes; but it's usually something pretty simple in the end if you break it down and take your time with it.
  3. bizy

bizy New Member

Thanks for the response. The ejector hangs 3 out of 7, sometimes 3 or 4 in a row. It is totally random. The same as the primer feed. I have used only 1 station at a time to see if I could spot a problem. I can do without the primer feeder but the eject is the only one I need.

I mostly deprime, resize and flare, then clean, then reprime using a hand tool. All I need after that is the powder and seat the bullet. The whole machine works fine no matter where I place the dies. I know the decaper must be in a certian place And reprime in a certian place.
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Ok, i misunderstood your first post, you're having a problem with the finished round during the ejection cycle. This would lead me to believe that something is loose / not installed quite right and leading to a problem with the timing of the press.

I would certainly go with my advice from post 1 : I would take the components completely off, verify proper timing, inspect parts and then re-assemble and adjust. It never hurts to go through a complete disassembly and reassembly either; good way to learn and become knowledgeable with your press. It may take an hour to do this, but I am certain that you'll find the issue when you do. Take it step by step on the reassemble and double check everything.

If there is any doubts, call up Hornady and see if you need to adjust your timing; they call it "auto advance", but same difference.

Good Luck and Stay Bizy ! :D
  5. tEN wOLVES

tEN wOLVES New Member

I agree with Woolyworm, just follow what WW outlined, and you should find your problem, but if you're just having trouble figuring things out, then give Hornady a call, they will be more than happy to help you out, and walk you through this, even if you need to call them back several times, if your primers aren't feeding right, make sure you have your primer follower installed, it needs the weight of the follower to push the primer down, in fact I replaced mine with a brass rod, and red flagged it when its getting low, and make sure you exert enough pressure on the up stroke to press in the new primer.

Good luck, these are great presses, so don't worry, you'll get it right

Regards

tEN wOLVES

Attached Files: