Hornady Lookup Pleaset

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by The Duke, Nov 15, 2011.

1. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Anyone with a Hornady Manual? I need the C.O.A.L. for a .223R, 75grain A-Max...I usually dont shoot anything this grain, but reloading some for a friend and dont have the info at hand...Thanks
  2. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

From the 8th Edition:

C.O.L: 2.390"
  3. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Thanks, JohnfromCa...
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I concur.. Thats what the hdy manual recommends, but if hes shooting a singleshot or a boltaction that may allow a longer seating I would seat it off the lands .010" until i got a consistent load developed, then play with the seating depth to fine tune accuracy.
  5. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

According to Hornady the data for the 75gr A-Max is for Service Rifles ( Semi-autos) and should be loaded "single shot".

"The Hornady 75 grain A-Max is an excellent choice over 600 yard ranges in single shot shooting. (This bullet cannot me loaded to magazine length)"

So, if you are shooting these out of an AR or similar you are going to have to load single shot. Seating to mag length (2.260) will put the ogive in the neck.

What are you going to shoot these out of?
  6. devildogandboy

devildogandboy New Member

Duke, i am a newbie to this forum that has reloaded for many years and recently found this HogdonReloading data page to be of help. check this link for any info you may need.
    http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

welcome devildog..:patriotic:
  8. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Hey devildog, I use this site all the time and highly recommend as well. I also copy pages and keep them in my 3-ring binder loading manual also. A real help! Welcome aboard and hope to see more of you!
  9. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Thanks and Welcome DD....I believe my friend is asking for the impossible with this bullet and AR plaltform... Steve verified it for me...The 77 gr just aient gonna work as expected in an AR...I knew the max was somewhere aroung 80g for proper magazine feed with some bullets...Ive never loaded anything that heavy in an AR platform...most I have ever used was a 69g and that should shoot well with his 1:8 twist...Ive got some of those and will make up a few rounds for him to test later today....Thanks to all for the help.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

if he is wanting to use magazine length ammo then he cannot use the 75 gr AMAX, or anything over 70 gr for that matter. The 69 gr SMKs barely seat to mag length and that puts the ogive just about dead even with the casemouth of the .223.
  11. noylj

noylj Member

1) that is the minimum COL for use of that data. You may go longer.
    2) Does the COL fit the magazine?
    3) Are you going to start at the starting load or simply jump to what you think is a good charge weight?
    4) The odds of my rifle having the same chamber dimensions as yours is vanishingly small. My COL may not be good in your rifle.
    5) For most rifles, you start off with a COL that puts the ogive of bullet that first contacts the lede/rifling about 0.015-0.02" less than the max COL.